NEW COMPUTER! :D - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 8
Default NEW COMPUTER! :D

So i'm getting a new computer, came up with this build, and wanted to know your opinions on it. I will be playing games like Battlefield 3, League of Legends, TF2, etc. and recording them (so basically add video editing to what I'm mostly gonna be using this computer for).

CPU: i5-4670k
Case: Antex GX700
Motherboard: Fatal1ty h87 performance
Graphics Card: ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Vengeance Pro Blue
Power Supply: 750W "Aywun" MEGA POWER Elite Series 80PLUS GOLD Certified PS
Aftermarket Cooler: Freezer 7 PRO Rev. 2

Yes, I will be overclocking the CPU and (maybe) the Graphics Card.
So let me know - things I should change, whether it'll run and record most games, if the parts are compatible, all that kind of stuff.
And if you recognise me from a previous post, i WAS going to buy a computer from a local MSY store until I found out that the parts are... not exactly reliable... or genuine.
__________________

MysteriousHoodedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 8
Default Re: NEW COMPUTER! :D

Forgot to mention by DVD reader thingy: Samsung SATA Black Internal 24x Speed Plus DVD±RW Drive
And my Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3.5'' / 1TB / SATA 6GB/s / 7200RPM / 64MB
__________________

MysteriousHoodedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,308
Default Re: NEW COMPUTER! :D

Care to explain the last part? All the parts in the build I said to get were rock solid. From what I can tell MSY are pretty reputable as well.

In any case, first concern is that no name fake certified PSU. You won't be OCing either, as you need a Z87 board to OC that processor. Not that it's needed, and even if you could you wouldn't get very far before your processor started overheating like crazy with the tiny Freezer 7.

I would rethink not getting the previously mentioned MSY build.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
stfu_donnie7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: California
Posts: 38
Default Re: NEW COMPUTER! :D

Unless you really know what you are doing, I would advise you to not OC your processor, even if you had the proper board for the processor. If you can't research that kind of stuff yet due to lack of experience then I highly recommend that you just get a few good fans. Your computer is good enough to do what you want. Trust me. Lean more about your system before you undergo anything drastic. Eventually you can try using a fish tank and submerging your computers components in mineral oil. This is the best way to cool down your system. Mineral oil is not going to short circuit your computer because it is not conductive to electricity.
stfu_donnie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,308
Default Re: NEW COMPUTER! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfu_donnie7 View Post
Unless you really know what you are doing, I would advise you to not OC your processor, even if you had the proper board for the processor. If you can't research that kind of stuff yet due to lack of experience then I highly recommend that you just get a few good fans. Your computer is good enough to do what you want. Trust me. Lean more about your system before you undergo anything drastic. Eventually you can try using a fish tank and submerging your computers components in mineral oil. This is the best way to cool down your system. Mineral oil is not going to short circuit your computer because it is not conductive to electricity.
No it isn't. It actually doesn't cool all that well and is a novelty show off thing to do. The best 24/7 way of cooling your PC would be water cooling, with the extreme of that being phase change. Sub zero cooling has its drawbacks though, making water the best of silence and cooling at least to ambient.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
stfu_donnie7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: California
Posts: 38
Default Re: NEW COMPUTER! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
No it isn't. It actually doesn't cool all that well and is a novelty show off thing to do. The best 24/7 way of cooling your PC would be water cooling, with the extreme of that being phase change. Sub zero cooling has its drawbacks though, making water the best of silence and cooling at least to ambient.
Yeah, my bad for misinformation. BUT it is pretty cool still, and your friends Jaws will all drop haha
stfu_donnie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,308
Default Re: NEW COMPUTER! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfu_donnie7 View Post
Yeah, my bad for misinformation. BUT it is pretty cool still, and your friends Jaws will all drop haha
Sure, but not real practical. At least if you phase a PC your stuff won't be slimey afterwards, and you can make their jaws drop by some insane OCs at -48c. They might also like how your CPU is so cold it makes frost
That's not very practical either though, even though you can implement it for 24/7 use you run a real high risk of frying stuff from condensation or over voltage.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
stfu_donnie7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: California
Posts: 38
Default Re: NEW COMPUTER! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Sure, but not real practical. At least if you phase a PC your stuff won't be slimey afterwards, and you can make their jaws drop by some insane OCs at -48c. They might also like how your CPU is so cold it makes frost
That's not very practical either though, even though you can implement it for 24/7 use you run a real high risk of frying stuff from condensation or over voltage.
OK OK you win for sure, but it's still awesome to have motorized plastic fish that can swim in the oil to make it look like a real tank haha. That's a good project for a secondary (for fun) computer that you don't care much about.
__________________

stfu_donnie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.