new computer but more problems.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastsystems

In Runtime
i have a gateway GT5674 and when i start it all i get is the back fan turns on for about 30 seconds then everything shuts off... i dont get anything on the screen or nothing... any ideas what it could be?

It's a gateway, there's your problem!

No but seriously, that probably is the root of your problem. Is the machine still under warranty... I don't know how "new" it is. It could honestly be anything. Does it POST? If so it's very possible that it's a memory or hard disk problem. If it does not I would lean towards motherboard or PSU needing replacement.

well its not too old but i have moved twice now with it, and i think the HDD may have been bumped around during the move. do you think that could be the problem, and i need a new HDD?

try removing the memory and reinstall.
and try with only one memory stick. if one went bad it will cause the problems you are having.

if it has only one stick of memory, you might want to just upgrade your memory now and see if it works.
usually if the you get harddrive failure the computer will still post and allow you to see the bios of the motherboard.

If it can post you can run UBCD to test the memory and find out if that's the actual problem. I find this much more convenient than swapping sticks (sometimes necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom