New Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxnerd

Solid State Member
This is my first computer I have build from scratch. I was thinking about getting these parts but I'm not sure if they are good. I only have about 1000 dollars to spend and I was thinking about buying it from Newegg.com.

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 $89.98
Radeon HD 5770 $164.99
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W $79.99
G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Ram $209.98
ASUS P55 ATX Intel Motherboard $134.99
Intel Core i5-750 $199.99
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner $26.99
Total $906.91

Any input about this would be great. Thank You.

This is my first computer I have build from scratch. I was thinking about getting these parts but I'm not sure if they are good. I only have about 1000 dollars to spend and I was thinking about buying it from Newegg.com.

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 $89.98
Radeon HD 5770 $164.99
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W $79.99
G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Ram $209.98
ASUS P55 ATX Intel Motherboard $134.99
Intel Core i5-750 $199.99
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner $26.99
Total $906.91

Any input about this would be great. Thank You.

Power Supply:
The Power supply choice is magnificent and future proof for crossfire if you ever choose to do that.

Graphics Card:
For $1000 I would have a 5850 graphics card.

Case:
You don't need an HAF 922. To save money and get an equal or better case you should go with a CM 690 II or a decent Lian Li case.
I personally suggest the Rosewill Blackbone for sub $1000 builds as it is a top tier case for only $40.00 (Free shipping with a promo code right now)

RAM:
You don't need 8Gb of RAM.
I repeat.
You do NOT need 8Gb of RAM lol.
I know photo/graphics editors who don't use that much, my friends who are engineers and use AutoCAD and modeling programs don't even need that much.

Motherboard:
For a good future proof motherboard make sure it has SATA 6Gb/s or USB 3.0 and remember to use combo deals.
Also if you're going to have a 650w Antec Earthwatts you might as well have a motherboard that can crossfire too in case you ever upgrade so make sure it at least has two PCI-E 8x slots.

Processor:
Great choice for that price point, though the Phenom II X4 955 is not a bad choice either and is probably more future proof than the 1156 processors.

DVD Burner:
I recommend LG or Sony Optiarc, but pick whichever is cheapest and fastest.

Thank you so much for the advice. I have two other questions. Is the i7 worth an extra $100, I heard the only difference is hyper-threading. Also if I want to use over clocking should i change my motherboard?

Pretty much any modern motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte, Biostar, and EVGA, are good at overclocking. You don't need to change it, though I would suggest other motherboards for reasons beyond overclocking.

The i7 920/860 are not worth the extra money if you will just be gaming and are not planning triple crossfire or triple SLI.

Any other questions?

Thank you so much, again. I have a few questions. What motherboard would you recommend? And if I have about 1400 dollars to spend what would recommend? Also you recommended that I get a 5750 card but I looks almost the same as the 5770 but twice the price. It seems like it just better to get two 5770s. Sorry to ask you so many questions at once, but any good ideas for a moniter?

Thank you so much, again. I have a few questions. What motherboard would you recommend? And if I have about 1400 dollars to spend what would recommend? Also you recommended that I get a 5750 card but I looks almost the same as the 5770 but twice the price. It seems like it just better to get two 5770s.

I recommend against two 5770's as if you buy a single 5850, you have the option of adding a second 5850 in the future as an upgrade.

If you buy two 5770's and in the future you find that you need more power, where can you upgrade from there?
You'd have to sell off your 5770's and buy totally new card(s), and if there's one thing I know about electronics, is that over time the price will eventually fall and you won't get the same kind of money you paid for them.

With $1400 I'd recommend using $1000-800 to purchase an AMD AM3 rig with a Phenom II X4 955 and a 5850, but leaving the options open for crossfiring. Probably with an 890 motherboard or 790 motherboard.
Then, when Thuban comes out, I'd urge you to purchase a Phenom II X6 using the money you didn't spend initially, and a second 5850, especially after selling off the Phenom II X4 955 for some spare money.

I think that's a very good upgrade plan that will lead to better performance than the i5 750, and possibly better performance than the 1156 i7's.

I don't know for sure though.

My recommendations are based on speculation of future upgrades and if you want the best bang/buck right now without taking future parts into account, I'd recommend going either i7 860 + crossfire 5850's or i7 920 + crossfire 5850's, whichever you could manage to find for cheaper.

Due to weird circumstances I only have $1400 to spend and I can't really upgrade afterwards. So what do you think is the best configuration for my price range? Especially with the motherboard?

Thanks for all the help. I just have a few more questions. What is the diffrence between a $100 dollar motherboard and a $200 one. And what are the diffrences with diffrent ram types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom