New computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadisticmidget

Baseband Member
I'll bet you guys are getting really sick of these threads, but you are the best source of info I have so here it goes.

I'm currently in the process of saving for a new comp. I hope to have around 1k-1.2k by Jan. I need a pc that can run any game on the market (especially Crysis) maxed out and still have power left for new games that might come out. This will be a gaming computer only. I have never overclocked, and I am skeptical of my ability to do so, but am willing to do a little bit of ocing if it will reduce the cost of my machine. I do NOT want liquid cooling, and my home has no air conditioning, so it gets warm in there during the summer.

What I am thinking currently:

Motherboard: I have no idea what would be a good motherboard. I know the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard is a good board, but it doesn't support SLI. I am not looking to run SLI at the moment, but would like to have to ability to do so if I change my mind in the future. (Yes I do run my games at high resolutions.)

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

CPU: I want an Intel, NEVER AMD. I am having trouble deciding. Are some better than others for OCing? From what I hear, the dual cores are better for gaming than the quad cores, but I am open minded about either. I would like to hear your opinions on either.

GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N806-A1 GeForce 8800GT SSC 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
That's what I'm thinking for now, but I don't know when Nvidia's next series is releasing or how much that will cost.

RAM: I guess it depends on the processor I choose, but I would go with either Corsair or Crucial I think. 4 gigs hopefully.

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
I like this, but would prefer a full-size tower. Couldn't find one that I really liked. I suppose it's not the end of the world.

OS: Windows XP is what I have now, so I would use that to start. I'd upgrade to vista when I had the money after building the pc.

That's all I got for now, I know it's not too much to work with. I don't mind if whatever I get is a little over my budget, as long as it is worth the extra money. Anything under my budget would be helpful too!

Thank you guys!

Get crucial ballistix and an e2180. The 2180 is a crazy overclocking dual core that only costs 90 bucks. Use it until the q9450 comes out in january. Either that or just pick up a q6600 g0 stepping.

if you can figure out how to build a "high end" gaming computer from scratch for a thousand dollars let me know, because a good processor and good video card will cost you that much or more.

8800gt = 250 (if you wait)
e2180 = 90 (overclock it to 3ghz or more)
2gb crucial memory = 55
p35-ds3l = 100
corsair 520hx = 100
antec 900 = 100
vista 32 oem = 90
500gb hdd = 100
thats less than 1000 bucks.

980 :p plus maybe shipping and tax.

If you take a look at my thread i'm pretty much looking for the same thing. Right now i'm looking at around 1200 total with all components that would be needed, and i stepped up my product choice a little over what has been suggested. But figure by the time you are looking into the purchase it will be cheaper for something around the same as what your looking at now.

I play at 1680 x 1050 res on a 22" Samsung. Right now I have to run CoD4 on medium to low to get good fps (no lower than 30).

How difficult is it to OC the processor? I've heard that when you OC the processor you then have to OC the memory. I don't want to have to OC almost every component in the pc....

With the vista, isn't the 64-bit better?

Other than that, the build looks pretty good Veedub : ) Thanks.

Thanks vernong for the MB suggestion. ^_^

Can someone comment on the PSU I posted plz. I hear the PSU is one of the most important components in a gaming pc, and I'm not sure if the one I posted is a good choice.

Edit: With the q6600, what is Go stepping, and how would I tell the difference between one with it and one without it?

Sorry for all the questions : ( I can't afford to screw this build up like I screwed up the one I am using now XD.

I have ebay auctions up right now for an Intel E2180, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. 2GB Crucial Ballistix and Gigabyte P35 DS3L. The items are all brand new, never used. CPU and Heatsink are lapped and that was it. I lost interest in putting the computer together so that stuff is all on ebay. The reason that I bought these in the first place was for great overclocking and performance on a budget. So yea, what the others are saying here is true. An Intel E2180 overclocked along with 2GB of decent ram and a heatsink will set you up nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom