New components

ncore

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm planning to get new components Mobo, CPU and RAM but I'm not quite sure which is the good/best ones out there right now.

I've seen some Haswell reviews and seems okay and the new piledriver from AMD. I'm not planning to break my bank to have an expensive rig.

I currently have core i5 760, p7p55D-E PRO, 4GB G.Skill Ram, 5870 GPU and 700OCZ PSU. Well I think my mobo is broken as its not posting anything nor beep errors although fans are working, GPU is working but running so fast and loud.

What I'm planning to get:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.00GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail [BX80646I54430]

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard [G1.Sniper Z87]

RAM: Not sure which one.

GPU: Keeping my 5870 as I like it and i don't see any point of upgrading it.

Power Supply: OCZ 700watts, keeping it as well I'm sure its compatible with Haswell or has enough power.

I don't plan to OC this rig as its pointless for my use anyway. I'm not a hardcore gamer, I only play when i get bored or need a break from doing University projects.

Purpose of this build:
- Play some games but not heavily
- To upgrade/replace my current one
- Photo editing
- University Projects, coding websites and such

This is my current RAM set do you think its compatible for haswell?

RAM: Currently using G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600mhz PC312800 CL7-8-7-24 1.6v

Ah finally someone actually replied thanks PP Mguire.

I'm still thinking of getting the 4670/k now that I know my memory is still fine with this build. So that saves me at least £60 that I can add to get a better CPU.

Forgot to mention that I have killer xeno pro network card so I would need a PCI-E 1x.

How about this MoBo:
MSI Z87-G43 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard [7816-001R]

with Core i5 4670?

Last edited:
Ohh okay, so my first CPU choice would be enough for whatever task I have listed on my first post? I have H50 cooler, but I don't know if it will fit with 1150 or sufficient enough? Isn't Ocing will void the CPU warranty? :/

It technically does, but doesn't matter for a few reasons. Due to all the safety measures in the boards it's extremely hard to fry a CPU these days for whatever reason and even if you did OC they wouldn't know the difference.

BUT for what you want to do the 4430 will be perfectly fine coming from a first gen i5. More than plenty. The H50 1156 mount should work fine in the 1150 holes.

Oh cool thanks that saves me few more ££. Yeah still thinking whether to OC or not, i'm not sure if it will benefits me that much and if its worth spending extra money. I was happy with my unOced rig. I'm planning to get SSD some time in the future and better memory or GPU instead.

Yea I'm running a stock Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) CPU and I can clock it up to 4.4GHz if I wanted to. Doesn't make much of a difference besides slightly in Handbrake. In any type of regular use or gaming your 4430 will run even better than mine stock. Can't really stress it enough to people that these modern quads and hexes don't need an overclock at all.

Back
Top Bottom