New Comp Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolk

Beta member
Ok where to start? Basically i'm looking to buy / possibly build a new computer. Up until now I have had very little experience with fiddleing with the hardware of my computer. I'm reasonably into gaming so i want to get something thats going to be good for that. So basically I was hoping you lot would be able to awnser (quite) a few questions about this for me. I have a fairly large budget (around £2000 mark +/- a bit, approx $4000+) and am uk based so keep in mind delivery etc.

1) Is building, or rather getting your comp to work properly after building difficult, medium, easy? And any advice on this.

2) Is this roughly correct:
current best cpu: the conroe Intel core 2 duo's
current best graphics card: GeForce GTX 7900 or the ATI (forget exact name but something like XT 1900 or something).
good mobo: for the conroe cpu: Asus p5b deluxe (the new bios, unlocks overclocking options for the lower level conroe chips)
ram to get: DDR2

3) Would i be better of getting more lower MHz ram (i.e. 533) or less higher MHz ram (i.e. 667), i don't know what the impact on performance is?

4) Is it worth considering the new Ageia physics cards or is the technology still too new to be worth it?

5) Should I wait for the new DX 10 GPU's or should i buy a cheap one now then sell and upgrade when they release, how easy is replacing the GPU?

6) If building is something i should possibly avoid, given my lack of knoledge, is a system like the dell xps 700 viable? I know alot of peopel dislike dell for various from what i can see in the specs of it, it seems ok. Conroe processors, quad sli graphics etc.
Would i be able to overclock this system if so inclined? Are there any components that are easy to replace that i should buy the basic level of, then remove, sell and replace to save money from the dell markup? etc..

7) If not dell are other companies (i.e. evesham.com) worth considering?

P.S. 8) My sister is also getting a new laptop, she's not extremely computer literate and won't need it for games etc. but i might as well try and get her the best for her money. She has budget of around £500 -£600 give or take a bit. Any suggestions?

That's all the stuff i can think of for the moment, i'll probably think of more later to annoy you with.

well with regards to the laptop i think she should try and get a laptop with a "Core Duo" processor if possible for that price. definitely do not get the Dell. if you can not build yourself we'll help you finish your parts list and you can pay to get it built :D. honestly though building is not that hard and we can help you out, that being said if you are not confident then don't build it as it is a lot of money to risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom