A new case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, glad I didn't rip myself off :) I actually noticed that shopping megathread the other night, thats how I found out newegg ships to canada. I'm not sure when they started to, but a few years ago they didn't, and newegg seems to be alot cheaper than tigerdirect which is where I used to get everything. Bonus!

Cases:
HAF 932 (not blue LED) $170 (actually 167 but you get the idea) inc. shipping and taxes
HAF 922 blue LED $140
HAF 922 (not blue LED) $105
Cooler Master stormsniper $145

the stormsniper has 4 fans, 3 which have blue LEDs, which I think look really cool. Also it has fan/LED control, and I also really like that. And I just realized why it looked familiar cause it was one of the ones muffin man recommended :lol: I think I'm gonna go for it.

you can't go wrong with the HAF 922, i have one my self as well and the temps are nice and cool. i can feel the fans in front of my feet, acts as nice cooling for summer lol. And it looks really mean! i still can't stop staring at it

Yeah, I was probably over worrying about how many fans I need. I think anything would be better than my current case; it has 2 small fans. One located right behind the hard drives, so each hard drive blocks the fan by 1/3. I have 3 right now, so it's pretty much blocked off. The other fan is in a good spot... except the case is so small that the 'corridor' along which the fan blows is the only place for all the wires to go. Maybe now I can try overclocking though.

Also I was reading that you can bake a GPU, like in an oven, to get it working again? I kind of want to try it to see if it works, also the look on my GFs face.

Yeah, I was probably over worrying about how many fans I need. I think anything would be better than my current case; it has 2 small fans. One located right behind the hard drives, so each hard drive blocks the fan by 1/3. I have 3 right now, so it's pretty much blocked off. The other fan is in a good spot... except the case is so small that the 'corridor' along which the fan blows is the only place for all the wires to go. Maybe now I can try overclocking though.

Also I was reading that you can bake a GPU, like in an oven, to get it working again? I kind of want to try it to see if it works, also the look on my GFs face.

Uhhh... unless you really think it's dead for good, and you strip it of all possible salvageable parts, that's not a good idea. At all.

Well, it's the GPU that died that prompted me to get a new one... then a new CPU... then a new case :D Basically I started seeing green rectangles all over the screen, then BSoD. I restarted, windows actually started, but then 10 seconds later, green rectangles again, this time I reset before BSoD. I tried restarting again, and as my comp was booting I saw green rectangles and windows wouldn't even start. I tried it in another comp (to make sure that the GPU was in fact the problem) and the exact same same thing; green rectangles and shutdown before windows even started. I was planning on just tossing it, but I might as well try baking it, why not right? I don't even know what I'll do with it if it works...

edit: it worked! For now anyway. 200F for 7 minutes. Now I don't really have an excuse for buying a new GPU. Oh well, who needs an excuse anyway.

Is there any somewhat feasible explanation for that? It seems so counterintuitive...

the thought is that a possible explanation for a problematic gpu is that some of the solder joints on its pcb are damaged in some way, making a bad connection. stick it in an oven and that could remelt the solder to fix the joints.

i've only read about it working a few times, never tried it for myself. but like Mind said, i would only try it as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom