A new case - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default A new case

So my geforce 8800 GT decided to die yesterday, and I suspect my POS case that has hardly any airflow didn't help.

I opted for a GTX 460 1 GB, then I saw they had a core 2 dual 2.93 GHZ for $130 (I currently have core 2 dual 2.2) so I thought why not, was wanting to upgrade my CPU anyway. I probably should have done a bit more research, but I really wanted get my comp running and my brother said the GTX 460s were quite good, so it was a bit of an impulse buy.

Anyway, I realized that I really need a new case. I was thinking anywhere between $50-250. My primary concern is a sturdy case that has decent airflow.

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 This one seemed pretty good to me, the negative reviews mostly are about the case arriving with damaged parts, which I assume could be shipped to a person under warranty. I noticed when browsing the forum that many people recommended mid towers for budget cases; I assume the only difference is less room. My concern would be that I have one of these heatsinks for my CPU (it actually doesn't fit in my current case; I cut a hole and siliconed a pipe endcap overtop to make it fit ) But again, my current case is crap, so maybe a decent mid tower would be plenty big enough for my needs. I don't really care if it's fancy, with LEDs and junk, sturdy and functional is what I'm really after. Though who doesn't like a sweet case?

So what would you recommend?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Default Re: A new case

Any HAF case is a good bet.

GTX460 is a good card though so impulse or not you'll be happy.

- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

how do you know your cpu was an upgrade? clockspeed is no way to measure performance O_o

that's off topic though, you want case suggestions. i agree with Abstract, you really can't go wrong with any of the haf cases.

here are a couple others you might like
Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - AZZA Hurrican 2000 CSAZ-2000 Black SECC Japanese Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Corsair Graphite Series 600T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - NZXT Hades Crafted Series HADE-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

I'd go with that case, get some good fans for it, plenty of room for heatsinks/cards. Looks nice too and it's nice and small.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPROTechman View Post
Looks nice too and it's nice and small.
He needs big though, Josh. To fit his fat heatsink. :P
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm really interested in that AZZA Hurricane 2000 now, unfortunately the Canadian Newegg site is down at this moment so I can't check the price (price tends to be pretty close to the US site, but shipping is all over the place, anywhere from $10 - $50 on cases)

Thermaltake Element G I was looking at this one yesterday too, but lots of the negative reviews complained about cheap fans, so I dunno. Also the HAF and Hurricane are close to the same price and bigger.

@Muffin Man I assumed that two different CPUs of the same make and model (intel core 2 dual cores in this case) would be exactly (or almost exactly) the same except for the clockspeed. If I'm wrong I'm curious as to why. Because if that new CPU is no better than the one I already have, maybe I'll just return it. I'll be out the shipping but whatever.

edit: right after I posted I checked newegg.ca again and it was up. AZZA hurricane was $150 with $40 shipping
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogger View Post
@Muffin Man I assumed that two different CPUs of the same make and model (intel core 2 dual cores in this case) would be exactly (or almost exactly) the same except for the clockspeed. If I'm wrong I'm curious as to why. Because if that new CPU is no better than the one I already have, maybe I'll just return it. I'll be out the shipping but whatever.
core 2 duo (not dual, btw ) isn't the model. e5200, e6600, e8500 are models. those are all "core2" cpus but that doesn't mean the only difference between them is clockspeeds.

for example, an e6850 and e8400 are both 3ghz cpus, but the e8400 is the faster cpu because of architecture differences (i won't get into details on this primarily because i don't know them yet, but that's a basic way to put it i guess XD)

do you know what model you had before and what model you have now?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I have the HAF 922 case. The blue colored fan one. I love the 200mm fans on top and front. Plus the extra room behind the motherboard tray to keep all your loose cables. Keeps my i5 760 below 30C.

Here's some pics I took: New Build
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ah, thank you! Now I'm a little more educated.

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7500 This is the the I ordered.

My current one is, according to CPU-Z: intel core 2 duo E4500 @ 2.2 GHz

@ Mindovermaster, nice pics, I guess a mid tower would easily be large enough for my needs. It looks like your CPU heatsink/fan (I assume thats what it is) is bigger than the one I have so that would be nice. Though a quick look on newegg shows that case being $30 cheaper than the HAF 932, but $20 more shipping! Sometimes it sucks living in Canada. I assume the only difference between HAF 932 and 922 is the size, so for $10 or 15 (with tax) difference I might as well go with the bigger one. But Maybe I'll actually look at some more mid-towers, I was all worried they would be too small.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

yep, that would be an upgrade.

btw, you should check out this thread
The Hardware Shopping MegaThread
and see if there's other shops that won't cost you as much as canadian newegg.