New case

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmote

Seg Fault'n,
Moving some things around and changing the roles of a couple of machines. As a result I need a new case. These are the requirements:

Supports EATX
>=8 hotswap bays
rack-mountable
space for a 3.5" external (I can convert it to a 5.25")
space for a 5.25" external (I can get a slim one but I would prefer a standard)

That's all I can think of for now.

This is the one I have been looking at: TST ESR-308 - 8 Drive 3u Hotswap, SATA/SAS Mini SAS SF 8087, 650 Watt Redundant Psu, Backplane cables (SF8087-SF8087) Rail Kit - Racksurf , Rackmount cases, Rackmount systems, 1u,2,3u,4u,5u, rackmount systems, rackqueen, custom server, bespoke server but I'm sure there must be something better.

If you need any more information, please ask.

Thanks

comparing them to the other ones on that site it looks pretty good but, pardon the ignorance, why do they come with PSU's

At least a couple of people on this forum should recognise this case from pictures alone. It is the best case in the world.

This is it next to my desktop (Antec SOLO)
P1010006.jpg

It's quite a lot bigger though.
P1010008.jpg

I replaced the non-hotswap bays with hotswap bays.
P1010009.jpg

Inside.
P1010013.jpg

Crazy big case, makes my Road Cone look sorta small.

Though I do think my case is taller. We use it as a side table next to the couch.

It's actually not very big (as in tall), only 17". This is pretty normal because if you flip it sideways you can install rails and mount it in a 19" rack. Including this facia (you get a choice of two) it is 25.5" long (65 cm) and 22 cm wide which makes it 5u.

Everything about this case is brilliant (can you tell I like it lol) but the internal layout is one of the things that really made it stand out from the rest, it's so easy to work with and cutting yourself is virtually impossible.

EDIT: Also trotter what case do you have?

EDIT 2: Here are a couple of shots I didn't put up last night
P1010010.jpg

P1010012.jpg

Anyway I thought I would continue this thread for the PSU rather than starting another one.

I have an etasis ET750 which I can either use in the folding machine or in the server, whichever machine doesn't get the ET750 must get a replacement. One option is simply to buy another ET750 (it is a great PSU) but two things hold me back

1) There may be something better for the purpose (whichever purpose that ends up being)
2) I don't particularly like buying the same thing twice because I feel that I am somehow missing out (probably just me being weird lol :D)

The ET750 is at a good price right now (£81.64) so....

If the PSU is for the server the budget is £92 and it has to support the board (supermicro H8DCE) and must have a good number of molex. It needs to be good quality and be heavy (should help to re-balance the weight of the case).

If the PSU is for the folding machine the budget is £75. It has to support the board (ASUS M2N-SLI) and the two 9800GTX+ cards so 4*6pin PCI-e connectors are preferable but I do have converters from molex if not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and please ask if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom