New Card Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

J9Darkwing

Baseband Member
Hello all!
I just purchased a BFG GTX 280 from Tigerdirect and it should be arriving tomorrow (4/8/09). I currently have two BFG 8800GT installed but because I use 3x 22" monitors I don't run the cards in SLI. When it's all working right, like in Crysis, I use the center screen for the main game and the two side monitors as peripheral view using softTH. I run all three at 1680x1050 and it works pretty good but I have to turn all my settings down to low or medium.
My thinking is that when the new card gets here I'll run it in my top slot and use one of the 8800GT cards to run my side monitors until I can get another GTX 280.
Any thoughts on the best configuration? Is there any reason I should put the SLI connector between these two cards even though they are not going to be running in SLI?
Any installation tips? ie, uninstall the 8800s and their drivers, install 280 and drivers, then reinstall 8800s or just throw the 280 in there and install drivers?

Edit: I just realized that on top of two PCIE x16 slots my motherboard has an 8x slot too. Now, I've already promised my little brother my extra 8800GT but he has two 7800GTX cards and I can get one of them. How bout: 1x GTX 280 in the top x16 slot, 1x 8800GT in the bottom x16 slot and a 7800GTX in the x8 slot? Think that will benefit me anything?

Methinks Trotter's right.

There won't be any benefit to sticking a 7800 in there, would be better if you had just the 8800GT as a PhysX card.

Or you could give it to me, either way. ;) Lol.

I was to believe you now can use SLI and plug in multiple monitors with the new drivers. Maybe one thing you could do ( I have no idea if this is actually possible, just sounds neat) Use the 280 on the main screen, THEN sli the two 7800's for the two side screens???
OR 8800 for one side screen, 7800 for the other. hahaha idk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom