new buy for mid gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW- now I am confused- I have been reading that AMD gets you more for the $$, yet, you just showed me that is not true. Hate being "dumb" on anything. And as expected - we have basically doubled what this thread started out = $600. I think either one of the AMD builds ( Phenom or Athlon ) for under $900 will be the way I go - reality of cash is setting in.

I have been reading that AMD gets you more for the $$, yet, you just showed me that is not true.
This is still true, its just phenom II X4 945 is a higher end model, retailing for $175 on newegg. Athlon II X4 920 is $99 on newegg, and intel core-i5 750 retails for $200 on newegg. Going intel route, core-i5 is the cheapest processor i would recommend. But you can go cheaper with amd.

Im getting confused too lol. Configing IBUYPOWER is more complicated than picking parts from newegg but we can do it. Some of these builds are schizophrenic because i was torn between your original $600 and when you said you had $1000.

Set a strict budget.

yes- entirely my fault- I get caught up and excited ( like a kid for crying out loud). Ok here we go- definitely want a 5xxx ATI video card- it has both HD video and audio out thru HDMI . Will use for gaming, dvd's, CD's, connecting to Sony hd800 Receiver via HDMI cable , then out of the sony via HDMI to 52 inch plasma TV. So, need a media center computer. Best I can for 800-900 bucks. We do play Crysis, battlefields, Halo, and Far Cry is under the Christmas tree. Current system is a Vista HP with upgraded EVA 8600GTX card- which is having all kinds of problems. I will purge this piece of HP junk as soon as I have another working PC.

Ok config from gamer mage 550. To find navigate to desktop->amd desktop->phenom II DDR3->Gamer mage 550.

Case - CoolerMaster CM 690 Gaming Tower Case
CPU - AMD Athlonâ„¢ II X4 620
Heatsink - AVC Silent AMD CPU Fan and Heatsink
Ram - 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 free upgrade
Gfx - ATI Radeon HD 5770
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
PSU - 650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply
HDD - 500 GB HARD DRIVE
DVD drive - 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
--Software and accessories---
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Mighty Voltage Regulator

Total: $880 b4 shipping

For what you're getting, item for item, its a good price. I priced it out on newegg and came to $850. (not including the opti-UPS).

Now things you can change are:
-choose a different case (to save a few $$ to your liking). Tho i believe cooler master 690 is a good case.
-PSU, this is going to be up to you. I have a hard time recommending the corsair 650tx because it is complete overkill for the system needs. However i have a hard time recommending a different PSU because they do not tell us what brand it will be. Corsair is a trusted brand around these forums.

Don't think I can do better- will order tomorrow- too late to think anymore- had to get stuff done - thank you. I will call to see if they can name the unidentified PSU . I did ask about the "major brand" they leave unidentified- it is ASD or something like that- never heard of it before.

I did a quick review and the HDD is a Logitech- so I will spend $3 for the Sony- Have heard nothing good about logitech HDD's. How did you find out the 5770 card was from GFX? When I called earlier the 5850 was a HIS card. What do you think about the $19 bucks for Special packaging? Most people that had trouble with this company said the wired weren't plugged in, or the card was bend,etc. which I think probably occurred while in transit. So, $19 to insure no damage seems pretty good.

GFX = graphics. Im using it to call out the graphics card. I have no idea what manuf, it would be. Good idea calling about the brand names tho.
not sure about the special packaging, ur call.

Ya- but $$ are over my budget for any I5/5850 build ( unless I swallow my fear and build it myself) - maybe waiting another month and I can pony up the cash then for the better setup.

I hear you. Build it yourself, seriously. You will not regret it...it saves you a ton of money and you learn a lot. I didn't know the first thing about building a computer a year ago, but after a few questions here I decided to build my own. It was surprisingly easy, and any questions I had I just came here and asked and got everything figured it out. IMO It really is one of the more easier parts about working with computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom