New built not off to the best start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunchuckles

Baseband Member
I understand how and where everything is ment to go, but stuff is just not going good atm. I decided to ditch the new heat sink and fan atm, and stick with the stock intel one as im not going to OC yet. The stock fan is a piece of crap... theres 4 pins you need to push down on to lock the fan to the board... Only 2 go in easy and the last 2 seem to require an excessive amount of force which im not going to risk with my nice new MObo. Do u only need 2 pins in?? Should I replace the stock thermal compound that came with this fan as well?? If anyone is on MSN and could give me a hand answering my questions that would be a million bucks.

Should I mount my mobo before doing all this, as in the instructions its order of installation is wacking in CPU, CPU cooler, memory, graphic card, then mountin within the case. Is it easier to work within the case. Thanks for any help.

Your system specs would help us some.

LOL true.

EVGA nforce 780i
QX9450 'yorkfield'
BFG geforce 9800 gtx
OCZ 2x 2gb pc2-6400c5 800mhz
X-fi xtreme fatal1ty
corsair Tx750
Antec 900 case

Minds all over the place probly not the best time 2 be building this thing... Took a large wack to my noggin yesterday.. never good.

What heatsink did you purchase and are currently not using?

As far as the push-pins, they can be a real pain to install, but yes you MUST have all 4 pins secured to ensure the safety of the processor and that it will cool appropriately. As for now, just use the thermal compound that came with the stock cooler, but when you decide to add your other heatsink instead, then you will want to remove the thermal compound and apply something better like the MX-2.

First I would install the power supply in the case. Then, normally, it is easiest to install the CPU, heatsink, and RAM all on the motherboard before mounting it in the case. Then I would install the graphics card once the motherboard is mounted.

Make sure when you install the heatsink to alternate between push pins. Makes your life easier. It does take alittle force to get them in but if you alternate diagonally then you won't have a problem getting the other two in

What heatsink did you purchase and are currently not using?

As far as the push-pins, they can be a real pain to install, but yes you MUST have all 4 pins secured to ensure the safety of the processor and that it will cool appropriately. As for now, just use the thermal compound that came with the stock cooler, but when you decide to add your other heatsink instead, then you will want to remove the thermal compound and apply something better like the MX-2.

First I would install the power supply in the case. Then, normally, it is easiest to install the CPU, heatsink, and RAM all on the motherboard before mounting it in the case. Then I would install the graphics card once the motherboard is mounted.

Kewl so its not just me finding these pins a *****. My other heatsink is a Thermalright ultra 120 extreme, its mounting looks easier, but its those ficken clips to hold the fan on... they dont want to lock on easy for me unless im being Irish.

Im going to get my PSU in place now. Oh ive got myself some MX-2 ready :D.

Your Ultra 120 will be much easier to install and I recommend you go ahead and use it unless there is something stopping you. Since it uses screws, all you have to do is get it lined up and in place (after applying the MX-2 to the cpu) and then screw it in. Make sure it is facing so that the fan blows the air through the aluminum fins and out the back of the case (if possible). Otherwise, try mounting it in the direction so that it blows out the top of the case with your top exhaust fan on the Antec 900.

Your Ultra 120 will be much easier to install and I recommend you go ahead and use it unless there is something stopping you. Since it uses screws, all you have to do is get it lined up and in place (after applying the MX-2 to the cpu) and then screw it in. Make sure it is facing so that the fan blows the air through the aluminum fins and out the back of the case (if possible). Otherwise, try mounting it in the direction so that it blows out the top of the case with your top exhaust fan on the Antec 900.[/QUOTE}

Yeah I think your right, I think theres 2 R50 chips or something blocking the Stock CPU fan lying flat or maybe its just crap. Ill give the other heatsink a try and it will have to blow out the top fan. Quick question do i need 2 remove the compound thats already on the CPU?? Oh and how delicate are those CPU and mobo pins?? Thanks for all the help dude.

Yes remove the old compound before applying MX-2. Are you asking about the push-pins of the stock cooler? They work pretty good when they work, but they always seem to be a pain to secure in the motherboard. They aren't too delicate or anything, just annoying.

Yes remove the old compound before applying MX-2. Are you asking about the push-pins of the stock cooler? They work pretty good when they work, but they always seem to be a pain to secure in the motherboard. They aren't too delicate or anything, just annoying.

No the actual cpu pins, when i went to insert it in, it got trapped on the two knotchs... and then when i went to pick it up it kinda slide a lil into place, im worried ive damaged something but no point in that really I should press on with the build. Anyone here ever put together a ultra120?? Does the backplate screw holes lie flush with the mobo or should they pertrude up through it???

Woot Woot the heatsinks on just gotta attach the fan now!!! Someone said anywhere when building a computer nothing but the I/O shield needs abit of force... So far everything bar the fricken 1/O needs a lil force :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom