New build. Would apperciate some feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heister

In Runtime
Hey guys,

I am currently putting together a new build and would welcome your thoughts.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Level 10 GT UGK Combat Snow Edition (VN10006W2N-B) Ultimate Gaming Kit White and Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Tt eSPORTS MEGA G1 Keyboard, Black Gaming Mouse and Shock Gaming Headset Case

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSD

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive HDD

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature IHBS112-04 - Blu-Ray Burners Bluray

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems OS

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CPU cooler

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K CPU

Newegg.com - ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard MOBO

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9 X2 RAM

Newegg.com - ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card GPU

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply PSU

Let me know what you think and if you would recomend any changes.

I'd switch SSD to Vertex 4, and the memory to Corsair Dominator.

Yea, it was more because I have one of those all ready. I thouht about ponying up and buying a new one but its not really worth the extra money for slightly better performance.

As far as the ram goes, how does the dominator OC?

They are better for than Vengeance for OCing...but they are more expensive...it just seemed like that wasn't an issue when looking at the rest of your build. Some kits come with fans that will help even more (also, Corsair's website says you can pick the colors of the top of the heatspreaders...but I haven't found where you can get different colors...but I haven't looked to hard either.. :) )

Oh, and I forgot the "GT" at the end, it's Dominator GT

They are better for than Vengeance for OCing...but they are more expensive...it just seemed like that wasn't an issue when looking at the rest of your build. Some kits come with fans that will help even more (also, Corsair's website says you can pick the colors of the top of the heatspreaders...but I haven't found where you can get different colors...but I haven't looked to hard either.. :) )

Oh, and I forgot the "GT" at the end, it's Dominator GT

Its not a huge issue however, I dont want to be stupid either. The only reason I am getting the SBE is because I will be running alot of charting software in the back ground at all times. After looking at the dominator ram Im going to stick with the vengance, the physical ram size is more important to me than extra speed. I will be running a ram disk for critical applications that need to respond as quickly as possible.

It really depends on how RAM intensive your software is and how much multitasking you'll be doing, but I run over 4gb all the time. I'd leave at least 6-8gb open, which only leaves 8-10gb ramdisk...so make sure that's big enough for what you're doing (I'm going to be setting up a ramdisk pretty soon at work and I'm using 128gb, but I'll be working with video).

GT's are specifically meant for extreme OC as in subzero temps. You can buy cheap G.Skill or Corsair that is 2133 and don't need special ICs or heat spreaders.

It really depends on how RAM intensive your software is and how much multitasking you'll be doing, but I run over 4gb all the time. I'd leave at least 6-8gb open, which only leaves 8-10gb ramdisk...so make sure that's big enough for what you're doing (I'm going to be setting up a ramdisk pretty soon at work and I'm using 128gb, but I'll be working with video).

Thanks for the heads up. The charting software is around 400mb, however I keep around 2 GB of back testing data with it. So a 8 to 10 GB disk will be plenty big. Plus I will be running 32 GB so I am not worried about running low on system ram. I think i will run about an 18gb disk and put the game of the moment on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom