New build won't turn on - any ideas why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChromeShark

Solid State Member
Just put my new build together and disappointingly (although not completely unexpectedly, as this is my first) it wont switch on. When I press the power the front light flickers momentarily then nothing.

This is what I'm using:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64Bit OEM 1PK DVD (obviously not installed yet)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM

MSI P35 Neo-F Socket 775 FSB1333 onboard 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Arctic Power 500W PSU With PCI-E SATA, 20+4 ATX12V 8pin +12V Connectors

Kingston 2GB DDR2 Memory (X2, for 4gb RAM)

LG GSA-H66NBAL 18X SATA DVD±RW/DL/RAM - Black Bare Drive OEM

akasa cooler for Intel p4 socket LGA 775

My only idea is that the RAM is causing a problem, as I'm using 533MHz but I noticed (after purchasing everything) that the motherboard only supports 1066(OC)/800/667MHz memory )see here). Would this be a critical problem, and could it be causing the build to not power up?

I've attached a photo of the build below, in the slim chance that it'd help anyone see the problem (note I haven't got the RAM inserted here, but I have tested when it was).

Attachments

• build.jpg
    build.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 151
My only idea is that the RAM is causing a problem, as I'm using 533MHz but I noticed (after purchasing everything) that the motherboard only supports 1066(OC)/800/667MHz memory

I think it can cause instability

Try a spare psu if u can

Thanks for the advice, I've purchased the new RAM, even if that wasn't the problem I figure I'll get better performance with 800mhz.

If that doesn't work I'll see about trying a spare psu etc and post back if I still have no luck.

you prolly already did this but just makin sure, is the switch on the back of the power supply switched to on?

Well, nothing started smoking or smelt like smoke right? I blew hard drive. However when I unplugged my hard drive it powered on. Try unplugging a few things and turning it in. You don't need the CD/DVD, SD Slots, Hard Drive and other things to power on the mobo. Are you sure you plugged everything into the motherboard? Did you do it all correct? I'm not sure whether or not it'll turn on if there's ram in it so try to stick in an old stick for testing and see what happens. (Remember this is just getting the machine on, nothing near functioning) If you get it to turn on look back a step and you found your problem. That's what I do anyways!

1: make sure your motherboard is mounted correctly
2: make sure your cpu is mounte correctly
3: make sure the psu to mobo connectors are attached correctly and completely

edit: as for ram, it shouldn't matter the speed of the ram, only that it be ddr2 and pc2...though not 100% sure.

I had a similar problem when I swapped my motherboard yesterday.

instead of using the full 8-pin ATX power connected I used the 4 pin, because I didn't feel like fighting to remove the plug.

PC wouldn't turn on, so I put the 8 pin in instead and it worked fine. If the CPU isn't getting enough power I guess it wont turn on. Or so the manual said ^^

Thanks for all the suggestions, but afraid I'm still haven't had any luck. Tried using a different PSU but there was no difference.

I also upgraded the ram to 800mhz to comply with the motherboard spec, but this didn't fix the problem (probably still worth me doing though).

Just to clarify, when the power switch is pressed the front LED flashes and the front fan usually rotates briefly. This suggests that power is running through but not powering up the motherboard.

The psu is connected correctly to the motherboard through both the 2x2 12V Power Connector and the 2x12 Main Power Connector.

I've scanned in a page from the motherboard manual if this helps at all. If anybody think any other pages would help them see the problem I'll scan those in too.

motherboard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom