New build, where could I shave off more money?

headlesslouis

Solid State Member
I'm thinking about building a PC, I've picked out all the parts I'm looking for but somehow think I could shave more money off somewhere (I'm a tad strapped for cash).
I was thinking I could save money particularly on the motherboard because I won't be crossfiring, here are the current specs, constructive criticism, thoughts and cheaper alternatives would be appreciated :D

Bitfenix Shinobi -£45
XFX AMD 7970- £270
i5 3570k -£163
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - £104
128GB CRUCIAL M4 SSd - £77
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz £34.98
OCZ 750Watt ZT Fully Modular 750watt £78
Samsung 24x SATA DVD Writer - £10

Thankyou!

What is the purpose of the build? I'm going to assume gaming. For one you could shave the watts down to 650w, and I would change it out. I don't trust OCZ. For sure since you wont be doing dual GPU.
You could easily get away with the Extreme 3. Instead of the 7970 I would go with the 680.
The Crucial is a good SSD but I would go with a Corsair Force GT or Samsung 830 if they have any in stock.

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be able to afford a Gtx 680 since they start at £360. Though I will consider the other SSD's.
I did want my Power supply to be fairly reasonable in price and fully modular, and I found from the site I was looking at the 750 watt fully modular PSU was not too much more expensive that the 650 Watt fully modular one, which Is why I went for the 750 watt.

Wattage doesn't mean squat if the PSU isn't of quality parts. I know some people here vouch for OCZ units, but I have personally seen too many go poof in the past 8 months alone. Because of it I almost recommend nothing but Seasonic and Corsair units. You could get a TX650m which is part modular. The only cables that are left on are the ones you need anyways. 24pin, 8pin, and the PCI-E power.

If you really don't want to spend the extra cash on the better GPU then make sure you don't get the XFX card with their Ghost cooler. It is seriously rubbish, and you will see your GPU hitting 80 and 90c under full load during gaming.

Yea the DD is their "Ghost" cooler. On the edge it should say Ghost in white letters. Least the last 7950 and 7870 I held had that. It's a good 50/50 chance you'll get a bad cooler or bad card and will need to RMA.

Back
Top Bottom