New build suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragapot12

Beta member
Heres the deal...I have 1800.00 to spend. I was planning on getting a comp from IBuyPower.com, but upon reading countless negative reviews about them, I changed my mind. here is the comp I was planning on buying from them...
Intel® quad-core q6600 CPU
ASUS nForce 650i SLI chipset
DDR-2 PCI-Express MB
2048 MB DDR2-800 Memory
SATA-II 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
20X DL DVD±R/±RW
2x Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround
Speaker System
Microsoft Windows XP w sp2
Nzxt Lexa Blackline Gaming Tower Case w/MOD Window

Special Features:
[FREE !!] Intel Certified Liquid CPU Cooling System Kit

I was wondering if I could build the system myself in an $1800 budget? Suggestions? This will be my first build. I also need k/b and mouse... This will be a strictly gaming comp..

What's the quality of the cooling kit
Make sure your q6600 is g0 revision
As i always say SLI isn't worth the price. I would rather have a g5/g7 keyboard and mouse over an SLI set-up

No, SLI'ing only gives you about 30-40 percent IF THAT of a performance increase. Yet you're still paying an extra %100 for a graphics card.

Just get a 8800 Ultra.
It'll be about another $100, but it's better than two GT's

No, SLI'ing only gives you about 30-40 percent IF THAT of a performance increase. Yet you're still paying an extra %100 for a graphics card.

Just get a 8800 Ultra.
It'll be about another $100, but it's better than two GT's

wrong...
the two 8800gt's beat the 8800Ultra by quite a bit

also don't get a 650i Chipset with a Quad-Core ever, especially if you plan on overclocking, get some Transcend AxeRAM for $50 (much better than that Value RAM you have currently)

Skip the SLI, get a G92 series 8800. Also get a better MB.
Newegg.com - ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard - Retail

Should be no problem puting a very nice system together for $1800. Go for Vista also, works fine and you won't have to worry about upgrading soon. No need for water cooling either, just more maintance and possible problems. Air is just fine using a Tuniq or TRUE.

I didn't know that. With which mobo?

So you mean any HSF that screws in with a backing plate. Doesn't that encompass just about every aftermarket HSF?

thats with the DQ6, somebody on the forum said this, but I think whoever said it might be wrong, because I think that Ethereal_Dragon has a Tuniq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom