New Build. Seriously beir Bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Last night, as its now 06.55AM here in the UK, av striped an old desktop, down to the beir bones. Mobo, CPU, PSU, Heatsink and Memory. And I've got the Feeling again for a New Build. I mean beir bones.. This is what I'm thinking.

Motherboard, PSU, Memory, CPU, and Heat Sink and Fan.

Now im happy to bye a USB Mem Stick for the Pourpos of storage and run the System as it stand with an Ethernet Connection. But what about an OS. Am not sure weather to go for a Full paid for System or use something like Linux.

I seriously need Advice on whats the best for a mid range beir bones system. Forget the chassis, I'll quite happy have it running on the Desk of me own accord for the time being and hard drive.

I dont have a buget at the minute but need to know whats the best options and whats available.. Put it this way the Last system I had was an 8800GT with a Quad Core.. At the Time when I built that, it blew my Mind from jumping from a 2800+ Sempron, and that was 2+ years ago. Hopefully this will be next week when I bye the Parts for the Build.

If you can Post a Recomendation, can you give a comparison on the 8800GT and Quad core Intel Q6600 I had at the Time.

Thank you.

If this build is for gaming, then I would say that Linux is out of the question. Some can get games to run in Wine, but not all games will work.
Here is that I would get to have a relatively large jump in terms of performance.

Processor - i5 2500k £167
Intel CPU Core i5 Unlocked 2500K Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor - BX80623I52500K - Scan.co.uk

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 - £107
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Generation 3 Motherboard - GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 v1.3 - Scan.co.uk

Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 650W £72
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650W Power Supply (PSU) - Scan.co.uk

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LP £22
Corsair Memory Vengeance LP Blue 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop Sandybridge - CML4GX3M2A1600C9B - Scan.co.uk

Total: £370

If this build is for gaming, I would upgrade the video card as well. Also, the motherboard may not fit in your case as it's full ATX. If you decide that you want to put it in your old case, make sure that it will fit via measuring (30.5cm x 22.5cm). Also make sure that you have motherboard standoffs in the dimension mentioned above.

If this build is for gaming, then I would say that Linux is out of the question. Some can get games to run in Wine, but not all games will work.
Here is that I would get to have a relatively large jump in terms of performance.

Processor - i5 2500k £167
Intel CPU Core i5 Unlocked 2500K Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor - BX80623I52500K - Scan.co.uk

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 - £107
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Generation 3 Motherboard - GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 v1.3 - Scan.co.uk

Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 650W £72
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650W Power Supply (PSU) - Scan.co.uk

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LP £22
Corsair Memory Vengeance LP Blue 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop Sandybridge - CML4GX3M2A1600C9B - Scan.co.uk

Total: £370

If this build is for gaming, I would upgrade the video card as well. Also, the motherboard may not fit in your case as it's full ATX. If you decide that you want to put it in your old case, make sure that it will fit via measuring (30.5cm x 22.5cm). Also make sure that you have motherboard standoffs in the dimension mentioned above.

All good, but stay away from Gigabyte. I can't stress that enough.. Even if that board doesn't have any known problems, Gigabytes RMA is pretty much non existent.

Edit:

Also, why only 4gb RAM when you can get 8gb for not much more?

All good, but stay away from Gigabyte. I can't stress that enough.. Even if that board doesn't have any known problems, Gigabytes RMA is pretty much non existent.

Edit:

Also, why only 4gb RAM when you can get 8gb for not much more?
I don't see any problems with using a Gigabyte motherboard. Is a known issue with their Z68 boards?
I used 4GB because I was trying to keep it cheap for Spud1200. The 8GB has a better price per GB. If he can afford 8GB, that would be the better buy.

I don't see any problems with using a Gigabyte motherboard. Is a known issue with their Z68 boards?
I used 4GB because I was trying to keep it cheap for Spud1200. The 8GB has a better price per GB. If he can afford 8GB, that would be the better buy.

Like I said, even if there isn't a known issue with that board, if something goes wrong with it, and you need Gigabytes support/RMA department, you're SOL.

Like I said, even if there isn't a known issue with that board, if something goes wrong with it, and you need Gigabytes support/RMA department, you're SOL.

I see what you mean now. I was thinking that you meant Gigabytes RMA rates, not the RMA department itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom