new build questions

mud beaver

In Runtime
Hey guys,
I am in the process of rebuilding my system because my mobo died.

My new parts have all arrived and I have a few questions since it has been a while since I have assembled so many new parts at one time.

First, I need to know if the CPU I bought is a "Haswell" because of some PSU compatibility issues listed here
The big Haswell PSU compatibility list - The Tech Report - Page 1

The CPU I bought is an Intel Pentium Processor G3258 4 BX80646G3258 and my PSU is an older (2007) NZXT PP500 (which I dont see on the list above)

Secondly, I am worried that I will need to flash the bios on my new mobo so it will accept the new cpu.

My new mobo is an ASUS H81M-E ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 and my CPU is an Intel Pentium Processor G3258 4 BX80646G3258

Will I need to flash the bios or can I just pop in the CPU chip and be good to go?

Thanks for any info that gets posted

The CPU compatibility list shows the bios that supports this CPU as since 2001, so if your bios is newer than the 2001 release number, then your ok.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- CPU Support H81M-E

You do have a Haswell CPU, try it in sleep and if you run into the problems you posted about with these power supplies then do not use the sleep mode option until you get a newer power supply

The CPU compatibility list shows the bios that supports this CPU as since 2001, so if your bios is newer than the 2001 release number, then your ok.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- CPU Support H81M-E

You do have a Haswell CPU, try it in sleep and if you run into the problems you posted about with these power supplies then do not use the sleep mode option until you get a newer power supply
This.

Haswell compatibility problems with the PSU only has to do with certain low power states. Not a big deal for most consumers.

I think the only part i needed to replace was the CPU, which I could have bought a replacement Intel E6550 for 20 bucks.

I bought all this stuff I didnt need because i thought the mobo was the problem.

If the mobo led light comes on and there are no broken/leaky capacitors, does that mean the mobo is alright ?

so the only way to know for sure is to either take the CPU in question and have it tested by my local computer repair place or to buy a replacement and try it myself.

I should have done this first before i bought all the new parts :sick:

You're better off this way anyways. The G3258 and newer platform over all runs circles around anything you could have done with the old setup.

yeah i know but if i could have fixed my system for 20 or 30 bucks that would have been better for me, at least for now.

is there anyway to visually inspect a cpu and tell its gone or anything to try that would indicate that its definitly the mob thats dead

Nope. Takes troubleshooting with different parts. Only way to visually see if anything is wrong is if it has a black mark on it. That would mean it's fried.

the cpu does not have any black mark on the back of it, i removed it and inspected it fully, do you think the mobo did die ?

right when the system died, i was playing BC2 and listening to music using the winamp player, the screen froze for maybe 3 seconds mid game play and all audio stopped, then it went to BSOD and at the bottom of the bsod it said PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP..........

that screen seemed to be stuck so I hard booted the system

when i tried to turn the system back on the mobo wouldnt post, the monitor would go into sleep mode because it couldnt find a video signal/source.

I tried a different graphics card but it didnt fix it.

the only thing that makes me think its the cpu is the mobo led comes on and has no leaky broken capaictors and the cpu heat sink did have some dust on it.

is it likely the problem is the cpu or the mobo in your opinion from what i described

Back
Top Bottom