New Build Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

keshialee

Baseband Member
So after considering upgrading my current system (which I have learnt is just not worth it) I am working on getting together a new build. Am I heading in the right direction?

Intel DH67CL B3 Motherboard - OEM
LGA1155, H67 (B3 Stepping), 4xDDR3-1333, 1xPCI-Ex16 v2.0, 2xSATA-III, 3xSATA-II, 1xeSATA-II, RAID, 1xGigLAN, 8Chl-HD, DVI, HDMI, USB3.0, ATX (here)

CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II Midi-Tower Case - 500W PSU, Black
2xUSB2.0, 1xeSATA, 1xHD-Audio, 1x140mm Blue LED Fan, 1x120mm Fan, ATX (this one is local so don't have a link)

1000GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-III-6Gb/s HDD (here)

EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti - 1GB GDDR5 - (850MHz, 4104MHz)
256-bit, 2xDVI, 1xMini-HDMI, PCI-Ex16 v2.0, Fansink (here)

8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 RAM - 9-9-9-24

I have a few questions... when choosing the ram, what is the difference between a 8gb 1333MHz or 8 gb 1600MHz? Will it make a huge difference?

Next question is the CPU. I was thinking of going this:

Core i5 2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz - 3.70GHz Turbo, 850-1100MHz GPU) - LGA1155, 5.0 GT/s DMI, 6MB Cache, 32nm, 95W

But I need some help in understanding what they are all about, I get the difference between a dual & quad core but that is about as far as my understanding goes.

I'm really trying to understand all this, so hopefully I've done ok ;P

youll want the i5 2500 K so that youll be able to overclock at some point.

the difference between the rams is the speed that they run at. the 1600 MHz ram runs a bit faster than the 1333 MHz.

you'll want to get a better power supply than one that is included in a case.

where did these parts come from? can you link to the site that you are looking at?

So what size PSU should I be looking at?

I don't think that I personally would need to overclock the CPU, I say this thinking that in the broad scheme over-clocking will raise these numbers '3.30GHz - 3.70GHz' (for example anyway) and to be honest, I doubt I will play a game that even comes what the i5 2500 will do. Then again, I really have no idea what I am talking about if I just made no sense what so ever.

Parts are from all over the place I just had a look around everywhere to see what I could find and what I thought made up the right kind of system for me. So I am just trying to get a grasp on what I need and then will hunt for the best prices either locally or online.

Edit: By the time I am ready to even tread waters of over clocking it may indeed be time for a new system from this one. I'd more than likely just end up with a wrecked CPU, which is why I think the i5 2500 would be ok for me at the minute.

it's not the size of the power supply, but the quality. most psu's that come with cases are questionable at best, garbage that will destroy the rest of the computer at worst.

can you link to the places that you are looking at? are you from the usa?

overclocking that isnt to any extreme is easy and is more or less free cpu power.

Updated the first post with links.

No not American, Australian here.

I'll find out what PSU is in the case that I found. So I'd be right with 500W if it was a good brand/quaility? If it's not I'll see if I can get it changed.

Had a look and from what I can see the i52500 K is only a few extra $$ anyway, so if it really is the better way to go then that's not a hassle.

Should I go an over-clocked version of the GTX 560 ti?

The question that I had in relation to the RAM, since there is only a few $$ involved from the 1300MHz to the 1600MHz, better to go with the later?

I would not buy an Intel Motherboard, look at Asus, MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, ASRock and you should buy a P67 or Z68 based chipset.

Thanks for that.

What about these three?

(here)

(here)

(here)

I
f none of those are good picks then I may need a point in the right direction of 'what' mobo, at present I am back and forth between google and books to figure out what all the numbers and letters mean in their specs which is a right pain in the rear and making me feel a little more blonde each time.

The 1st mobo is the most expensive and it fully supports Nvidia SLI or AMD CrossFireX if your ever thinking of using multiple video cards. It will also have a few extra overclocking options in the bios.

The second mobo only supports AMD's CrossfireX, you've select a Nvidia GTX 560Ti video card so if your ever going to buy a second GTX 560Ti don't buy this mobo.

The third mobo is a mATX mobo, all the components have been compacted together to fit on the board, this can cause heat issues. Because it's smaller some of the features the other boards have been eliminated (less slots so SLI and CrossFireX are not supported).

If you can afford it I would go with the 1st Asus mobo.

I have to disagree about the heat issue with mATX. I had several mATX boards in the past. I never had an overheating issue. But yes, mATX does have less components than an ATX. As PCI ports.

I have to disagree about the heat issue with mATX. I had several mATX boards in the past. I never had an overheating issue. But yes, mATX does have less components than an ATX. As PCI ports.

Just because you haven't had a heat issue doesn't mean that a mATX board doesn't have more of a chance at overheating. And for some reason I recall you were looking at aftermarket chipset heatsinks for a heating issue with your little server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom