New build - PSU fans and heatsink (cpu) doesn't start, only normal fans and GPU. Help?

bengjo

Baseband Member
Hey,

It's a new build. I've plugged everything in, but when I try to start the computer only the fans and graphic card turns on. I know it's getting power from my PSU, obviously, but the PSU fan doesn't spin. It spins for like 1 sec and then stops.

I see some red lights turning on on my motherboard when this happens.

Heatsink (default one with Intel Core i7) doesn't spin either.

I know everything is plugged in correctly; I've built computers before.

Please help me!

I had a similar problem, solved by resetting the cmos. But it sounds like you might have a faulty PSU.

On a new build that won't post, you can try taking out the motherboard from the case and place it on a non-conductive surface, Disconnect everything except the cpu/heatsink/fan, one stick of memory and the graphics card if it does not have on board video (use the on board video if you can)
Connect the power supply 24 pin connector and the 4/8 pin connector for the cpu. Then short the pwr_sw terminals on the front panel header to get the pc to post. See if it posts (Power On Self Test) and if it does then add in each pci/pic-e card one at a time and recheck. If that all goes well look at the stand offs that are on the motherboards back plate on the case and make sure they are all in the proper locations and you do not have any extra stand offs that could be shorting out the mother board once it's in the case.
If it refuses to post with the board out of the case, then you might need to RMA the board

Back
Top Bottom