New Build in Progress - Generic so far, would like to add a personality

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ sli is unnecessary and unless ur at 1920 resolution.... but 680i SLI is what ur looking for if ur so interested in it

btw x-fi extreme audio is a rebranded soundblaster live! card which can be bought for 20$ and thats not worth it... get a true x-fi card like extrememusic or extremegamer

I would suggest just getting a GTX because by the time you say you would want to upgrade to SLI, it would no longer be worth it. SLI is barely worth it now and in a year, its not gonna be worth it at all with the GTS or GTX.

For personality, just make sure you pick the case by yourself. Thats where alot of the personality comes in. Any case from a good brand will do you fine. Pick the one you like and decorate it if you like.

^ i'd disagree

well ya... if ur getting a high-end sound card, u'd notice the difference, but if ur getting some cheap one.. theres no point in getting it

Well the Xtreme gamer is still 90 on newegg, I got mine for 50 due to the great deals circuitcity offers ( well sometimes...I don't work for circuit city :p )

You are correct about saying how any X-Fi card lesser then the Xtreme gamer is a rebadged soundblaster card. Watch out for those!

^ is that offer still goin' strong... cuz our techie here could pick one of those up.. and all he has to pay for is for gas... and the card... :)

Is it necessary or even advisable to get a super-cooler for the CPU? I see a lot of people talking up the Tuniq. In the past I have always used thermal paste + stock CPU fan....although in the tail end of my last install, I did have over-heating issues (I think my thermal paste "degraded" or died)

P.S. How often does thermal paste need to be reapplied?

^ it doesn't as long as u don't replace the CPU or the Cooler or both

the tuniq is good.. highly recommended if u use a quad-core, AF7 is recommended for dual-cores

Is it necessary or even advisable to get a super-cooler for the CPU? I see a lot of people talking up the Tuniq. In the past I have always used thermal paste + stock CPU fan....although in the tail end of my last install, I did have over-heating issues (I think my thermal paste "degraded" or died)

MX-1 states it can last 8 years

If your going to overclock it is very advisible to get a 3rd party cooler...and come on its about $20-50 dollar price range...not a big deal and a big drop in temps

oh snaps
*adds mental note for future recommendation*

Quad core? :eek: just stay ahead of the game a little and its only a little more and your getting so much more computing power for that i mean like a little more for 2 more cores with G0 stepping and u can multi task the living heck out of the quad core

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Eh just my thoughts i mean if you plan on gettinga dx10 card then why not get a quad core future games can use both of them :D crysis being one of the most popularly known ones that will use quad core technology :D

man i cant wait to upgrade all my crap....

I'd give the tuniq a shot but i kinda like the AF7 cuz i KNOW for a fact that its good but like if i actually had the time to test them both then i would but i just dont have the time or the cash on hand right now ..... yes im that poor as of now i cant even afford a friggin piece of copper to keep my CPU cool lol :D

I love it when new members know what to choose for their builds! :D

DawnOfDoom said:
I'd give the tuniq a shot but i kinda like the AF7 cuz i KNOW for a fact that its good but like if i actually had the time to test them both then i would but i just dont have the time or the cash on hand right now ..... yes im that poor as of now i cant even afford a friggin piece of copper to keep my CPU cool lol

Yes, the AF7 is one great HSF for the Dual Cores but for the Quads Cores, Tuniq Tower 120, ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme, and many other HSF would be a better choice of air cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom