New build ... problems with video...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

w-r-g

Solid State Member
Got a Gigabyte x48-ds4 and a 9800 GX2 and the video card is not working properly. I get a prolonged beep when booting up and a black screen. I can take my old 8800 GTS and it works fine. Card is seated fine and has the proper power and I have tired both DVI ports on the back. I took a look in the bios but everything looks fine but there has to be a trick somewhere to make this card work. I am not sure of the bios revision but maybe that could be it. Any help appreciated. Thanks

"Continuous long beeps : Graphics card not insterted properly"
So, either you though the card was seated fine, but it wasn't.
Or, a few of the pins might be dirty, preventing contact.
Or, like Sora said, you're card might be dead.
Long shot here, but have you tested that the power cables are supplying the correct amount of power if any?

Eh, I need a 6 to 8 pin adapter most likely to make the 8 pin power port work properly. My PS only has 6 pin connectors and this 9800 requires an 8 pin. I have the pin out now and will make one tonight and see if that solves the problem. EVGA says it will.

I've seen a lot of stuff about 9800gx2's not working when people received them (I think Veedubfreak had this problem before) RMA the card

could be a weak PSU too

Well, I have an 8 pin adapter coming and I will try that when it arrives. It takes two power cables .. one is a 6 pin and one is a 8 pin. I only thought I would need to plug in one but I have to have both plugged in. I have a pretty new OCZ PS but it does not have 8 pin PCI-E plugs and EVGA did no supply adapters in the box which is insane but whatever. I have to wait 4-5 more days for an adapter to arrive now...blah

Either you PSU is weak, or, when I got my 8800gs I had the same problem. A quick bios flash with the newest version made it run flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom