New Build Problems!

keefo

Solid State Member
Hi all!

I have just built a computer for a friend, and I'm having a big problem!
It keeps cutting out over and over again, or just refuses to even power on.
It sometimes boots to windows, and after a little while, it will just cut out.
Then it will not power on at all until I twitch the PSU off and leave it till excess power drains out.
Then sometimes it will try and boot up, but the CPU LED will be lit up red on the MoBo, and everything will spin away, but no picture on the Monitor at all, and it left, it will again, after a few mins, just cut out.
Its driving me insane!
Surely the PSU have enough juice to power it all.
That would be the first thing I would check if I had a spare PSU, but I dont :s
Can anyone help me... could it be something obvious or is the most probable cause the PSU?

Gl3WAEI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be cautious about refurbs, especially the H 80 CPU cooler. My first question....Why is it a refurb?
Do you plan to o/c this rig?

i dont plan on overclocking it no.

that's true, but the temp does seem to keep at a nice cool 30 something deg from when i checked!

If it can't boot, then you can't get a temp from it. Take the motherboard out and place it on the motherboard box, take 2 sticks of RAM out, unplug the HDD and optical, use the stock cooler, and then try. You're either shorting out from not being mounted properly in the case, the cooler isn't working properly, or it isn't liking 4 sticks of RAM.

I have just stripped it all down, refitted, and its still having the same problems!

It does boot... sometimes, and I get it into the bios straight away and keep and eye out on the Temps, but it seems normal and doesn't go higher than the mid 30's...

I have also tried the stock cooler and its exactly the same.

Going to try it with less RAM and see what that does...

Im sure I tried it with one stick and still got same problems though.

Also, I have just tried it with nothing bolted to the MoBo at all, just the PSU.
No CPU, No GPU, No RAM.

The Fans were plugged in though.

And it STILL came on for a few min's then cut out and wouldn't come back on again without a total unplug and a few mins waiting.

Surly this means its the Mobo at fault doesn't it??

It's not supposed to run when you take the CPU, GPU and Ram out

Iv tried it on 2 of my other computers where if I remove everything from the MoBo except power, it will power on, but obviously it wont boot or anything, but it will stay powered on.

This does not and shorts out and stays off once shorted unless the PSU switched off for a few mins.

Back
Top Bottom