New Build, Please give your opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
Case:
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail (Does anyone know if this case is easy to work with? With space and cable management?)

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ABIT IN9 32X-MAX LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GPU:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail (I've heard this is a very good PSU, opinions?)

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - OEM
(I have yet to decide if I'm getting this or the new E8400. Any suggestions would be welcome, but I'm leaning towards the Q6600 to make sure my PC is as future proof as possible.)

Memory:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
(This is what many people are suggesting, but I have a question. If the FSB of the Q6600 is 1066, shouldn't I get 1066 memory? Please explain this to me, I really am confused about this.)

HD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
(I've heard it is better to have 2 hard drives, one small HD for the windows installation, and another large HD for games, music, etc. Is that what I should do instead?)

Dvd Drive:
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM

CPU Cooler:
Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

Thermal Paste:
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail

My spending limit is $1600.00 with shipping, so any modifications are welcome as long as they fit within the price range.

Please scrutinize anything and everything. I want the best system I can get for the money for Gaming. I am going to be using an Xfi Premium sound card I already have, and the 22" Samsung 226bw at a resolution of 1680x1050 for gaming. I also already have speakers, a headset, the Logitech g5 and the Razer Tarantula. So the tower is all I need.

Thanks guys!

I've never been a very big BFG fan. Their components have always seemed a little cheap to me, and the last time I had an issue with them I couldn't get through to their customer service. I'll check it out anyway though. Thanks.

get the Corsair 520hx because its the same thing as the 620hx except the 620hx has an extra 100watts coming from the not important 3.3v Card, unless your really planning on SLi, then avoid getting the 680i, bye bye q6600 hello e8400

I know how you can chip about one hundred bucks off of that build, $89.99 to be exact. I know it's just a "Mini" part of the whole price, but it can add up astronomically (just like the cloud of a nuclear bomb, like that of a "Nova").

I know how you can chip about one hundred bucks off of that build, $89.99 to be exact. I know it's just a "Mini" part of the whole price, but it can add up astronomically (just like the cloud of a nuclear bomb, like that of a "Nova").

How can I chip $89.99 off my build?
Also, does anyone have an answer to my question about memory? Why I should go with the DDR2 800 instead of DDR2 1066... Still have no idea what's up with this.

I might do SOME video editing...but nothing major and definitely not on a regular basis. I know that most games don't support Quad yet, but in the future won't the Q6600 be better for gaming than the E8400? I also play games competitively so I run irc, x-fire, ventrilo, my music, and firefox in the background when I play my games. I don't know if any of that information would change your opinions about which processor I should get, but just thought I'd run that by you guys.

Also, does anyone have an answer to my question about memory? Why I should go with the DDR2 800 instead of DDR2 1066... Still have no idea what's up with this.

just go with 800, 1066 shouldnt make that much diff and isnt worth the price diff.

how about you google the bolded parts and make it one word ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom