New build, need some input. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default New build, need some input.

Thanks.

I have not built a rig in about 6 years and am ready to do it again.

I do not game but do a lot of photo and video stuff and run a lot of surveillance cameras etc. that take a lot of processing power. I will also run my music and multiple monitors from it. and set it up as a home server.

I did not think price was a factor (till I looked at prices) so I think I would start with a Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge

I will be overclocking it cuz I get bored. so I guess the next thing I want to figure out is a good solid motherboard for OC'ing that is not super pricy (~$2-300) and has decent features.

After that I will figure out GPU and PSU etc.

thanks for any input

cliffhucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: New build, need some input.

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Will need a good set of RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 - Newegg.com

Since you don't game, a very high powered GPU isn't necessary. Enough wattage to push an overclocked 3770k easy, run lots of HDDs, and will last quite a while.
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

What programs will you be using? That answer will dictate a recommended GPU due to what side the software takes advantage of.

Do you have water cooling?

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
What programs will you be using? That answer will dictate a recommended GPU due to what side the software takes advantage of.

Do you have water cooling?
I am going to go all new with everything.

cooling:
I have never water cooled but may do so or look for a good air solution and let it limit my OC'ing.

software:
I always have BlueIris running with 5-10 cameras. Photoshop, various video editing programs, CAD, some type of sound mixer. at least 2- 24" monitors etc. I also monitor remote cameras so I have lots of video going locally and remote.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well then I stand with the above and add these + the 3770k.

SSD:
Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK Solid State Drive - Newegg.com

Add amount of storage space you desire. Stick with 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda's or WD Black's.

For GPU:
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Can utilize 4 monitors at the same time from one card. Easily usable on the Seasonic 550w PSU I linked before, plus OCing.

Case:
Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

You can go with whatever you want there, but I linked that for simplistic looks, and good cable management. Not too hard on the wallet either.

That's about it. I assume you have your own audio device already for your mixer, and your monitors + peripherals. I recommend Windows 7 if you don't already have it over Windows 8.

Instead of an air cooler I recommend this.
CORSAIR H80i Water Cooler - Newegg.com

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks for the guidance PP!

I like the SSD. I did not even think about that. Do you run your Boot-OS and other programs off of that?

I like that case, nice and clean and I always liked Corsair stuff.

And I will definitely go with the water cooling since it is so easy these days. Does that fan/radiator mount in place of the rear exhaust fan on that case you linked to?

I am definitely going with Win7. I actually already ordered a copy last night since I know that is a for sure item in my build.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

I run everything off mine. I only use a small bit of a 1TB for my LAN party games which carry over for each format since I don't need to reinstall them (old games). If that wasn't the case, they would go on my SSD too. I have CS6 PS, few large games, Guitar Rig, Vegas Pro, and a few other basic small programs on my SSD with 28GB to spare. I should mention, that my Skyrim RAMDisk image is also on my SSD for faster booting times.

Yes I chose the h80i because it will fit in the back. If you went with something like the 300r that has 2 exhaust on the top you can run with the h100i if you like. Either one will give off a decent OC on the 3770k. Keep in mind, IB chips run a little warmer due to using TIM between the cores and the IHS instead of solder. So a decent OC on the 3770k would be something like 4.5GHz give or take.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Yes I chose the h80i because it will fit in the back. If you went with something like the 300r that has 2 exhaust on the top you can run with the h100i if you like. Either one will give off a decent OC on the 3770k. Keep in mind, IB chips run a little warmer due to using TIM between the cores and the IHS instead of solder. So a decent OC on the 3770k would be something like 4.5GHz give or take.

Thanks,

What do you think about the i7-3930K ? does the extra cache help and does it OC any better
Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Those are SB-E. The IB based 3770k is faster per core (clock for clock) but the 3930k is 6 core. If you want to go that route, doing what you do it would actually be quite a leap in performance. The 3930k will OC to around 4.5 or 4.6 under the h80i. The heat differences between the two are almost matched due to it having 2 extra cores.
If you decide to go with that instead, I recommend the exact board I'm running right now. It's pretty awesome.

Edit: In case you didn't know, I'll clarify. IB or Ivy Bridge is the 3rd gen Core i series, where as SB or Sandy Bridge is 2nd gen. SB-E is the enthusiast platform, which runs on socket 2011 boards. Ivy Bridge is currently only on the mainstream platform, but IB-E will be released holiday season this year. There will be only a 10% gain over the current SB-E lineup, and there will not be any 8 cores. Meaning, not exactly worth the extra 500 upgrade.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Those are SB-E. The IB based 3770k is faster per core (clock for clock) but the 3930k is 6 core. If you want to go that route, doing what you do it would actually be quite a leap in performance. The 3930k will OC to around 4.5 or 4.6 under the h80i. The heat differences between the two are almost matched due to it having 2 extra cores.
If you decide to go with that instead, I recommend the exact board I'm running right now. It's pretty awesome.

Edit: In case you didn't know, I'll clarify. IB or Ivy Bridge is the 3rd gen Core i series, where as SB or Sandy Bridge is 2nd gen. SB-E is the enthusiast platform, which runs on socket 2011 boards. Ivy Bridge is currently only on the mainstream platform, but IB-E will be released holiday season this year. There will be only a 10% gain over the current SB-E lineup, and there will not be any 8 cores. Meaning, not exactly worth the extra 500 upgrade.

Right on; that is some great info! I do not like the idea of fans ontop so I will stick with the H80i. Other than going with an "extreme" chip like you have is there any other chips i should/could be considering from the 3930K and 3770K ?
If the 3930 and 3770 were the same price would you always recommend the 3930?

What about RAM? should I increase that if I go for the 6core chip?
You have a crazy amount of ram, does that all get used gaming?

Why not use 10K RPM drives as back up?

What about a sound card? I have always used onboard but always wanted more options. Does the ASrock have good onboard sound?

thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Besides the 3960/70x and the Xeons (which can't be OC'd, also need an SR-X or server board) the 3930k, 3570k, 3770k, and 2500/2600k chips are the ones to get.
If they were the same price it would be a gamble, but I would still tell gamers to get the 3770/3570 over the 3930k simply due to the fact that games take more advantage of the faster IPC on the IB chips over the extra 2 cores of the SB-E. Your case is different, so I'll have to say the 3930k is the chip for you if you are willing to pay the price.

No, not really. I recommended 16GB because you are going to be doing a ton of multi-tasking, and actually using your computer. I still recommend 8GB for game rig.
No, without a RAMDisk I never use more than 8GB at any time. I only have this kit because it was a review sample, as well as the 32GB Patriot kit I have. My own cash paid for an 8GB 1600MHz kit and otherwise I wouldn't ever get anything else until the time came.

10k drives are too hot and don't provide enough gain for the price/heat/performance ratio. A good 7200RPM drive like a Barracuda XT or WD Black with 64MB cache will mostly keep up with the Raptors. It's my personal belief that the Raptors were a very niche thing just before SSDs came around.

Do you have high end cans, home theater setup, or speaker setup? If not, onboard is 100% fine. I'm using mine now for my 2.1 setup. Yea this board has a good sound setup. The Extreme 11 X79 actually has onboard Creative Record 3D sound.

Access to my Plex PM me.