New build.. need expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would look at better motherboards. You have all these nice, expensive, components plugging in to a rebranded Asus.
I would consider the Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 (or Pro) or MSI Z68A-GD55 G3 (or 65 or 80) feature comparison.

Is the copy of Windows on your hard drive Retail or OEM?
If OEM the license is tie to the motherboard it was installed on, not the hard drive.

Really!? So I'll have to buy Windows again? Yes my existing computer is a store-bought Walmart computer. I was kind of depending on it to make things a little cheaper.. guess not. Should I still be able to use my harddrive and optical drive from it? I think most of them are compatible anyways. I suppose I should play it safe though..

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 HN-M750MBB 750GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Does this one suffice? Is it fast?

As for the motherboard.. I'll keep looking. I thought that one would be good..

Retail or not, I believe you'll have to reinstall Windows 7 with the new hardware anyway (correct me if I'm wrong).

Why exactly did you choose that monitor? Unless you're doing some professional photo/video work, you really don't need it. For that price, you could get 2 (or even 3) 24" monitors. :thumbsup:

That Samsung drive is a 5400 rpm Laptop drive.

Those Corsair Vengeance memory modules with tall heatspreaders will interfere with a lot of aftermarket heatsinks if you plan on overclocking.

Don't buy a ASRock motherboard, spend less on the video card and more on a decent motherboard. Everything plugs into the motherboard, why buy all these nice parts only to plug them into a piece of crap.

Appreciate the input. This is why I wanted help because I would've bought that harddrive and been dumbfounded when it doesn't fit/work right.

First off, what exactly would I need in terms of cooling the processor and card? I plan on overclocking both if necessary. I tried looking up GPU coolers, but I could only find CPU coolers. Is there a difference? Also, I don't want that case. I'll just get the HAF 922.

Second, about how much power would I need for a 7990 and 2500k? Is 850W enough? Modular or non-modular?

Thanks.

Yes the 850 Watt Corsair power supply will be fine.

Modular is not necessary, but it helps keep the case tidy, especially if you have a case where managing wires is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom