New Build, Need Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

visionRAY

In Runtime
Hi everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my current machine, which currently includes the following components:

Antec P180
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 3700+ A64
eVGA 7800GT
1GB Corsair RAM
Antec 550W PSU
Plextor DVD-RW
Seagate 80GB
Creative X-Fi
19" ViewSonic LCD

I'm thinking about building the following system:

Gigabyte GZ-XA1CA-STB Case
Samsung DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Samsung 226BW 22" LCD
Seagate 320GB 7200.10
eVGA 8800GTX 768MB
Corsair 520W PSU
Corsair XMS2 2GB
ASUS Striker Extreme MB
Intel C2D E6700
Creative X-Fi

Total: $2150 with shipping

I haven't been keeping up lately with processors and motherboards; are the ones I've selected above good choices? I know the Asus motherboard might be a little over the top, but I couldn't find many others that had lots of features and still looked good. I've been trying to balance reviews that I've seen on professional websites and ones on Newegg; it sounds like the Striker Extreme should work though. Any other input would be appreciated as well.

Also, I'd be willing to sell my current computer that I talked about for $580 (just PM me if you are interested).

Looks good, except for the CPU, motherboard, and memory.

For CPU, I recommend the e6600, because the e6700 doesn't justify the price for only 200mhz more speed. Just overclock the e6600 to 2.6GHz, and you got yourself an e6700, for $100 less. The e6600 will overclock way pass that though. I was just showing, that for $100 less, you can match the e6700's speed, just by overclocking the e6600, 200mhz.

For the motherboard, if you want features, go for the MSI P6N Platinum. Much cheaper, and performs just as well.

For ram, get the G. Skill DDR2-800 2x1gb HZs.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

i would go for the msi platnium p35 instead of the striker. also gskill ram. other than them thats a great system:D

edit: dam b1gapl bet me just. next time

baron,
How come you keep referring to the MSI P6N Platinum, as MSI Platinum P35? The P35 chipset is not out yet.

Oh...I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out. ooooo....the one with the pretty NB heatsink.

I guess I was referring to the P35, not being available on newegg, since it seems, he'll be purchasing from there.

if your going to be spending that kind of money, why not look at the full tower cases... loads of room and plenty of future use... I just bought a silverstone TJ09 myself... very nice and VERY roomy. I would also make sure that the HDD you get has 16MB cache... better performance. The lightscribe burner is cool if your wanting greyscale graphics on a disk, but other than that I wouldn't bother with them... and I agree with b1gapl on the chip... Get the 6600 and OC it.

Thanks, I'm going to figure out what the new total is with the things you've suggested.

If I change the E6700 to the E6600, and I use the MSI P6N Platinum, then my total drops down to $1887. That's a savings of $263; I also have $110 in mail-in-rebates. I think I'll keep the Corsair RAM because it constitutes $50 of those discounts.

Overall, I don't think this computer is a bad deal at all. It's about the same price I paid for my current system a year and a half ago. Thanks for the help guys.

Agreed with Nukem. Since you are getting an 8800GTX, you should get a full tower, because it will possibly, be a tight fit, in that mid-tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom