New build with low heat output

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I have a 7 year old build right now that still runs strong, however it generates a lot of heat and heats up my room really quickly and makes it hot, stuffy, and unbearable.

Here is the build I made in 2009: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/my-first-build-209793/#post1663531

So I'd like to solve the heat problem somehow. Do you guys think a new computer will output a lot less heat?

I don't play high graphics games, I mostly browse, watch Netflix/youtube, and do programming. I want a computer that will generate as little heat as possible while being capable of doing the above. I'd like 3 monitors on it too.

Thanks for your help.

When I search for graphics cards there's so many that come up so it's a little overwhelming for me. I don't really know the difference between them for the most part.

Do any of these look good:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

As for the CPU, is there a big difference between the intel core i5-6400, 6500, and 6600?

Here is the 6400 I was looking at:
Intel Core i5-6400 6 MB Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz

I'm not sure how to compare motherboards either.

Here are some motherboards I was looking at:
ASUS Z170-A ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS Z170-P LGA 1151 Intel Z170

ASUS Z170-E LGA 1151 Intel Z170

ASUS H110M-E/M.2 LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard

What power supply wattage do you think I should get? On my original build I have a Corsair 750w that has done the job with no problems (as far as I can tell).

I have a 500GB SSD which I will use in the new build. Would I also be able to reuse the DVD player? I don't even use it but I'd like to know if it'll be compatible anyway.

Would I also be able to reuse the HDD I have, or do you think it's not worth it. I also have a 1 TB external HDD that I put all my music/movies on, so maybe the original internal HDD isn't needed anymore.

edit: I also have an aftermarket cooler for the CPU, would I be able to reuse it on the new build?

Again, my goal is to load/run applications fast and do my programming and some light gaming (maybe some Battlefield, Overwatch, etc) smoothly, while having as little heat output as possible. I'd like to have 3 monitors on it too.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Wait, you said you don't play high graphics games, but Overwatch and Battlefield are high graphical games.....

You don't need a Z170 board unless you plan to use SLI which will require a 1070 or higher or unless you have a K series processor like the 6600k or 6700k. A simple H110 board would be fine. The last board you linked would be fine.
ASUS H110M-E/M.2 LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboards - Intel-Newegg.com

The i5 6400 and 6500 are perfect for everything you claimed to want to do in your original post. I have an i5 6500 in one of the boxes I use at work that I edit my videos on and do gaming with an M5000 (GTX 980 basically). It also puts out little heat.

If you do indeed plan to play at least these 2 games specifically then I suggest at least the 3GB 1060 from eVGA. Like this one:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 03G-P4-6160-KR, 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), Only 6.8 Inches-Newegg.com

If you don't care about having settings turned up then the eVGA 1050 TI you linked first would be fine.

You'll also need DDR4 for the new build. I suggest at least 1 8GB stick at first, and any old RAM will suffice like this:
G.SKILL NT Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15S-8GNT - Newegg.com
Of course if you have the money then I suggest to go for 16GB.

Your SSD, HDD, and PSU are all fine and will work. Since your optical drive is SATA that will work too. The H60 you have is also perfectly fine, just use the socket 1155/1156 mount for it on the new build. You will need to buy thermal paste if you don't already have some as this new build will require a new application of it.

The CPU and GPU combined should equal to less than 200W worth of power drawn and put out less than 200W of heat compared to the previous build. So it should be cool and quiet.

Thanks so much for the help PP Mguire!

I will stick with the 1050 because I don't even play Battlefield or Overwatch or high graphics games like that, not sure why I mentioned those lol. I guess I was thinking about picking them up but I dont think I will.

Is this RAM good?

Also, is there much of a difference between the i5-6500 and 6400? Do you think it's worth the extra $20?

Also, what size case will work for this build? Smaller would be nice, but I understand it would mean not as good air flow as a larger case. What do you think?

My PSU is not modular so it takes up a ton of room with all the wires even in a full tower case, should I get a modular one or just keep this one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom