New build for kid #3.

The sound bypasses all audio hardware in the PC. It's just a straight uncompressed signal through the HDMI cable with no processing (besides whatever is creating the signal IE movie/game/etc). Like I said before it has to be some sort of setting in Windows causing the hangup. I did HDMI from my GPU to my reciever and it worked fine, but HDMI out from that to my monitor introduced input lag so I went to using the optical out on my sound card.

I have this AV and used the speakers from my Logitech Z506.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH55...pID=319ih8LJaBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Sounds pretty good, all things considered.

Well- the audio issue has now happened on both the old unit- win7, and my newer build which has win10. The newer build audio is definitely better than the older windows 7 build as it is just getting punch/volume- the win7 had both volume and balance issues. So, what are the chances of both PC's , with different versions of windows in them, having audio issues from Windows?

Well they both have the same common denominator, the person behind the screen :lol:

Initial setup for my stuff I had to Google as Creative made it pretty retarded. Getting 5.1 to work in later Windows is kind of a pain really.

very funny ,,,Ha..Ha

ok all parts are in. Except the Windows 10 download OEM - never done that before - I always just got the OS on a disc.

ok - fail,fail ,fail......

Have system put together - no boot , no video to bios, nothing, also one case fan does not work

- I already emailed Phanteks ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003) as I confirmed the front case fan fail by plugging a different three post fan into the same case hub and it worked fine.

So far I have taken ram in/out - using slots 2 and 4 ( A2 and B2) per Asrock mobo directions- the ram was checked before purchase for compatibility with the mobo on the manufacturers website.

I reset the CPU ( seems fine) , Tried putting in a GPU and using those video ports- Nope. Is it possible that neither VGA or HDMI are not default, and I have to use DVI? I don't have one of those cords handy.

The USB ports on both the Mobo and the case are powered as I checked with headphone that have a volume control that lights up - all USB ports powered that led light in the volume control.

So, power is getting to the Mobo as the USB ports have power, the CPU fan spins, I am at a loss.

Anybody have any ideas??

You need to do Troubleshooting 101 like I said in the PM. If you don't know what to do:

Pull the board out of the case and put it on the motherboard box as a test setup.
If you have any other DDR4 you know works place that in the board.
Use a GPU you know works in the board.
Don't plug any HDDs or anything else in besides PSU.
Use a donor PSU you know works in another machine. Reseat/paste the CPU just to be sure.
Clear the CMOS before testing.

If that doesn't work either the board or the CPU is DOA. If the board lights up like normal then the best guess would be CPU.

Yeah... .... Success. Reset cmos, and reset all wires, etc. Now have: Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key.

So, its been a bit since new setup. Do i just F6 ( or whatever key it us on this mobo)on boot up to get into bios and set boot device?

Edit/update (10PM) : OK its F2 to get into Bios. Did that, bios is p2.50 - so will need to look up to see if that is old or not - the great news is the bios already has the Ram correct at 2400 speed and 16 GB. I downloaded win10 creation kit/media to my PC on a USB thumb drive, got that over to the new PC , set bios to boot to USB - and entered the key -so far so good. We are in - windows 10 is on. Reboot and F2 to go back into bios and reset the boot order to SSD first and HHD second. Then , I have to download drivers for the MOBO as this PC has no optical drive. SO, I guess I download to the USB thumb drive again on my PC Asrocks drivers for this mobo and also the latest catalyst GPU software for the AMD 290 GPU. Then put them on the SSD with windows 10.

I did get an email back from Phanteks about the front fan not working - they asked for a picture of the broken fan- really- Its "in the front of the case". And I am not taking the case apart to take a picture of a fan that looks perfect but doesn't work. They responded - "which fan is not working- the 140 mm or the 200 mm" - I responded with - "I already told you its the front fan, which is the 200mm" . Something tells me I am going to end up buying and installing front case fan. I guess I could record a video of the fan working in the back- not working in the front and then unplug the front fan and plug in a different fan into the same spot and watch it start to spin= hence- ya the front fan doesn't work.

Final update(12:30 AM) ?? - catalyst/video drivers installed , windows updated, and all LAN/Asrock drivers are in. Internet working, "My drive" sees both SSD and HHD properly , etc. Yeah!! Time for bed - my kid is happy.

Last edited:
Definitely needed some drivers- LAN drivers,etc. NO optical drive so could not load the disc that can with the MOBO.

Back
Top Bottom