New build for kid #3.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
MY old Phenom PC died the other day. Being used by my daughter for the past 3 years now- I cant complain it is about 8 years old. Wont boot OR make a sound even with switching out a for another PSU. So, maybe a fried MOBO , maybe the CPU?? As far as I know- there is no way to know without buying a MOBO. Since this is pretty old I figured for her Bday next month - a new build is in order. She is not a hard core gamer - but did play skyrim, and a few MMO's. She does multitasking with several chat rooms, homework, drawing tablet and music going all at the same time.

Have a 3 PSU's ( OCZ fatality 550 watt and Stream-pro 600 watt / Ultra 550 watt) , a good monitor, keyboard, and a 560 ( 448 core) GPU which is what she was using when the PC failed to boot yesterday with the 600 watt PSU listed above.

Have not kept up with the mid-end CPU stuff since my last build a year ago.

So need CPU , MOBO, RAM, Case, and possibly new PSU.

Would prefer to spend less than $600.

Trotter; was just looking at that exact combo ...lol. Great minds and all that.. Do you think the stock cooler is OK?? are you sure I need the new PSU? I know, I know , just being cheapo= best to be active vs pissed later if it blows up a MOBO or CPU.

PP- when do the R3's come out?

R3 will come out before her birthday, rather should anyways. Expected early second half or late Q2. If you can do the R5 it'll last longer though.

It the computer just mysteriously died I would look at the PSU as the most likely culprit. It might run fine now but if it allowed a spike once it will do it again.

So, now she wants to have options to play games. So, which is better?? The AMD 1500x Rizen or the INTEL i5 Kaby. Both are about $185.

Back
Top Bottom