New Build issues..need help - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I have the same evga board, and I know what u mean with the heatsink. You should install the heatsink before u install the motherboard, as its a little easier. I just put mine together today and games run fine with the 8800gtx. I had to kinda jam the pins of the connectors into the motherboard, I just prayed I didn't break anything. Before you install it make sure the posts are twisted in the right direction and then press down equally, holding all sides stable untill they click, then twist to secure it.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

Okay if you ran 3dmark and nothing happens than it is the game. Try playing oblivion or something and see if it does it still.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Might be a PSU problem, like maybe it isn't supplying enough power to your graphics card and when you load up a game, it shuts off because it can't provide the power. It's more likely that it's the CPU though, make sure you have the heatsink seated properly, and no matter how hard it is because of intel's ******* design, do it right. If the CPU reaches an unstable temperature, it will shut off like that.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to M733mhz

It's gotta be the heatsink not being seated properly or something along those lines. I had pretty much the same problem with an old emachines, it would shut down during more intense things because it would get too hot. Figure out a way to cool that sucker down, Try an after market heat sink and fan. Hope I helped.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by lancec2c30
Okay if you ran 3dmark and nothing happens than it is the game. Try playing oblivion or something and see if it does it still.
i agree with lance.
seems more software related.
you guys, i'm relatively sure that 3dmark06 generates as much heat as total war...so it should shut down when he runs it, too.
i dont think it's a heating problem...but you should be able to monitor your temps while playing and see.
i don't know about your cpu, but mine won't shut down till it gets to about 90ish celcius. if it was getting that hot you would be having problems at other times, i reckon.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

try uninstalling the game, re-boot and re-install, also. never hurts if you're having problems.
also, see kinetic's posts above.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to HellFireRS Send a message via Yahoo to HellFireRS

Its all fixed guys, it was the CPU stock fan..i went out and bought a sick Zalman, it dropped my temps about 20-30c..insane.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to M733mhz

I win.

Closed Thread