new build helppp - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default new build helppp

I am looking to build a new PC. My budget is 2000. I need to have it run Avid Media Composer with Avid mojo SMOOTHLY!!! I prefer an intel processor... any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: new build helppp

WOW. 2000 dollars is a lot. you will be able to build the most badass system. I can help ya out, I'm not very familiar with those programs though, but with that kind of budgest you can run anything.

What processor are you looking at, dual or quad?
What type of video card do you prefer, nvidia or ati?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

wait for nehalem or amd's 45nm quads, and a 4870.

and any ram/board/psu/optical that you want.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Nehalem
4870x2
8 Gigs of mem
Nice Asus/ABIT/DFI motherboard
Nice Full tower case
24" LCD
1000W PSU
terrabyte hdd
dvd rw drive

That would rape...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Don't wait for nehalem. The boards alone will be like 300 dollars. then the processors will another good amount. Plus ddr3 ram which will be very expensive. All on stuff you don't need. It's just overkill IMO. An intel core 2 quad is fast as anyone needs at the moment. Especially one that's like 2.8 ghz or above. Along with about 4 gigs of dual channel high speed ram abd a SATA harddrive and you will have a plenty fast computer. unless you just got money to burn and want to get rid of it, then in that case go for it.

As far as ATI goes, nVidia is usually on top with graphics cards and until the 4870x2 which just came out, they still were. I look for them to regain their status shortly, so I'd personally go with an nVidia based board.

EDIT: 8 gigs of ram? are u kidding me? lol that is so overkill and useless. No programs will use over 4. from 4 to 8 u will get no performance gain, and that will have to be ddr3 ram which will be very expensive especially to buy 8 gigs. and really a 1000 watt psu is unnecessary as well.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
Don't wait for nehalem. The boards alone will be like 300 dollars. then the processors will another good amount. Plus ddr3 ram which will be very expensive. All on stuff you don't need. It's just overkill IMO. An intel core 2 quad is fast as anyone needs at the moment. Especially one that's like 2.8 ghz or above. Along with about 4 gigs of dual channel high speed ram abd a SATA harddrive and you will have a plenty fast computer. unless you just got money to burn and want to get rid of it, then in that case go for it.

As far as ATI goes, nVidia is usually on top with graphics cards and until the 4870x2 which just came out, they still were. I look for them to regain their status shortly, so I'd personally go with an nVidia based board.

EDIT: 8 gigs of ram? are u kidding me? lol that is so overkill and useless. No programs will use over 4. from 4 to 8 u will get no performance gain, and that will have to be ddr3 ram which will be very expensive especially to buy 8 gigs. and really a 1000 watt psu is unnecessary as well.
1. Do you even know how much ddr3 costs? Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

70 bucks for a 2 gig kit. Not that expensive when you consider ddr2 was more than that less than a year ago.

2. A good nvidia based board right now comes close to if not more than 300 bucks. Ever heard of the 780i or the 790i?

3. Looking at the system requirements it seems that ATi graphics are not supported. Which is a much better reason to go nvidia than you gave. Look at the Nvidia Quadro line of graphics cards for the work you require.

4. Under the system requirements it says 4gb of ram is required for Vista. If that's the case then 8gb seems like a fairly reasonable thing to go for.

5. Perhaps, I initially contemplated recommending a dual 4870x2 setup which would have required that much power but decided against it and forgot to change it. For a high end quadro graphics card, 750 watts should be fine.

6. No, I'm not kidding you, and I don't usually do so. He needs to run a very demanding program which you don't seem to understand. In his case, the faster the computer the faster he can get things done. And in industry time is money.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

lol 4 is not required for vista. look it up before you try to tell me

Home premium/ Business/ Ultimate

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 GB of system memory

40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o

WDDM Driver
o

128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o

Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o

32 bits per pixel

DVD-ROM drive

Audio Output

Internet access (fees may apply)

Hmm... that says 1 gig of memory. 2 is really optional, 4 will run anything. obviously you don't understand memory either, adding more memory will in most cases NOT improve speed. just how much the computer can handle.

and 70 bucks? thats with a MIR that are usually a paind to do and most people cant be bothered to. So without it that's approx 120 bucks shipping and tax times 4. Thats 480 dollars on ram alone? Uh no, I don't think so.

motherboard, 780i 260 bucks
EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - A1 Version, NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID 132-CK-NF78-A1 at TigerDirect.com

As far as nvidia cards go, don't get that much ram, and safe that money you use for possibly two gtx260s or 280s. Not sure exactly what those programs require.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

EDIT: You honestly have no idea what I'm talking about do you? I'm going off the system requirements for the software he's building this rig around. Not whatever the heck it is Vista needs, which is completely irrelevant.

************************************************** ***********************************

I have no idea where your looking at these system requirements but heres the text right off the company web page.

Minimum system requirements for Media Composer Software - Windows
Processors:

* Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz

System Memory:

* 2GB of RAM
o Note 1: If working with complex sequences, (multiple effects/streams) or compressed HD resolutions 4 GB of RAM is recommended.
o Note 2: Vista requires 4 GB of RAM

Graphics Card:

* NVidia Quadro FX 560 or higher
o Note 1: Only Nvidia cards are supported
o Note 2: Full Screen play feature requires a minimum of 128MB of graphics memory

Heres a link in case you don't believe me

Avid Media Composer Software

When we're talking about rendering and the kinds of tasks his rig will likely be doing then h*** yeah more memory will help. These applications are total resource hogs.

I don't get what you mean by linking the 780i board... You're just undermining your prior point. Good motherboards aren't cheap, get over it...

Newegg.com - Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

8 gigs for under 400. Not even 2 years ago I paid 250 bucks for a high end 2gb kit of memory. These days everything is cheap.

Look things up next time properly so you don't spread wrong information.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to radtadtod
Wink Re: new build helppp

Not to start a flame war, but... Thresh stop typing before you get your **** pushed in.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

So.... what kind of application will you be running if it requires a minimum of 4 Gigs of ram?

Closed Thread