New build help!

dartgande

In Runtime
Hey guys, it's been a long while since I've partook in the beauty of zee tech-forums, and I need some advice. I haven't done a build in quite some time, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Parts I do NOT need: I have procured a nice enough video card for what I need for now (5870), I have a perfectly good 700w power supply, and a case to house all of this.

What I do need - everything else. A recommendation on a mobo, ram, heatsink, processor, hdd. Anything else you can think of that I may need.

I fall into the best-bang-for-your-buck category. I only dabble with overclocking; it isn't essential, and those extra fps don't mean that much to someone like me. I'm a PC gamer, but I definitely fall between casual and a tiny bit hardcore - a "normal" gamer if you will, hahaha.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for the suggestions and please help a lost guy like me out. I've only received exemplary advice from these forums before.

Budget is no more than $700, and the cheaper, the better. Best bang for your buck imaginable.

Let's get what you already have, the games you plan on playing, any productivity programs you may use on a regular basis, your country, and (sorry bout this) the brand of that PSU.

I have an ATI radeon 5870, and an OCZ 700w power supply. I also have a logitech 500 mouse, an excellent wireless keyboard as well as a nostromo keyboard, and a good samsung monitor. I am from the United States. I dabble in photoshop, and I play a bunch of indie games, skyrim, dead space series, occasionally an mmo, etc...not a fps type of guy. Anything else good sir?

Haha didn't need the extra bit of info, but it all helps I guess. I just get tired of people getting mid thread and then decided to be like "oh I do this too, will that change everything?" when they know it will. I'm sure you understand. ALthough, I largely meant your current CPU/RAM/Mobo/HDD setup. Because if you currently own something like a first gen i7 then not much of a reason to upgrade yet.

Anyways, I hope the OCZ PSU is pre-buyout but with a weaker GPU it shouldn't be much of an issue...I hope. This list is probably going to be temp, but we'll see. Really, if you have DDR3 already and HDDs you can just reuse those. I'm just going to take a wild guess you don't have an SSD yet and everybody needs one IMO.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TLBD38G1600HC9DC01

SSD:
Newegg.com - Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

For what you're doing, the CPU is overdoing it, but I mean it's only a bit more than the top end AMD and much faster so why not? It'll also last you another good 3-5 years so I guess we'll see you then lol.

The RAM has a promo code, but since you've been here in the yesteryear you should know who Team is and not have a problem with the brand. They used to make some mind blowing speeds for DDR2 before Dominators became a thing (or OCZ Reapers). Either way, decent kit, and 8GB is more than plenty for dabbling here and there. Not to mention, if you already have any DDR3, just toss what you can in there. It'll be fine.

The SSD simply because, everybody needs an SSD. You can look at my thread to see how fast a slower one is compared to a HDD. This one will be faster. It really does make a huge difference in general computing and production and I hate how people miff it off because it doesn't affect FPS speeds. Well, neither does a 3TB drive, but whatever lol.

HDD added because you mentioned HDD. Simple as that.

That list is looking solid! And nah, no DDR3 at the present, but I'll get it. I also forgot to mention an SDD, but I totally agree with you. Thanks a lot! You stated this is a temp list; so I'll hold off on buying for a moment in case you think of anything else. Also, I hate posts where people are like, "No, I just occasionally play some indie games", and seven posts later, "Oh wait, I also edit video, and play every simulator known to man". I agree, I like future proofing on the CPU.

Ok so DDR2, I'm guessing you have a C2D setup currently? (or sold it?) ha. Alright yea, if you don't need the HDD then the only thing I would change is getting the 240GB version of the SSD. Bout it, and that's at your discretion. The K chip and motherboard are capable of overclocking whenever you need to, which won't be for a long time. The stock cooler is perfectly fine for stock clocks on day to day use. Whenever you feel the need to actually overclock come on back to get recommended a cooler.

Thanks so much again! I'm about to order this beauty, post some pics when I get it built, and smoothly sail back into the world of pc gaming.

Back
Top Bottom