New build help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default New build help

ok, so i'm about 1 month away from buying the rest of the parts for my computer build (so long as nothing else goes horribly wrong *knock on wood*)

Thus far I have acquired the Coolermaster HAF 932, Corsair 650tx, and a TRUE 120 cpu cooler (compatible with socket 1366 and am3). I do need a monitor, 21inch should be just fine. If a good quality monitor won't fit the budget then do say so as i don't want a monitor of sub-par quality. Also, windows 7 is needed. I will be doing some gaming, but nothing ridiculous and i don't mind less than ultra settings. I do plan on a modest overclock, but once again, nothing ridiculous. Just keep in mind that i will be using a 650w psu.

Now the important part... the budget. I would like to keep it in the $900-$1100 range, but may spend more. Now a quick list of things i have, and things needed

Do NOT need.
case, PSU, heatsink

Things i do need (that are often not needed)
operating system, mouse, keyboard, monitor, 120mm cpu fan.

All help is appreciated, thanks

I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: New build help

Hi, i have a few suggestions for you as im building a similar system. Your expectations/requirements dont seem to high so you will have plenty of cash left over for a decent monitor/tv. Maybe you could try something like:

Intel Core i5 760 2.8Ghz - $205
2x2GB Corsair DDR3 RAM 1600mhz - $60
Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - $190
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V Motherboard - $80
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - $70
SATA Dvd-RW - $18
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit - $140

That comes up to just under $800, leaving you $300 for a monitor, keyboard and a mouse. If you choose a monitor over an LCD tv you should be able to get something great but i wont suggest one here as they are very personal, as are keyboards and mice. $300 should be plenty for both though.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: New build help

thanks for your suggestions

Now i know when building on a budget you have to make sacrifices, but wouldn't buying an 1156 skt mobo/cpu pretty much throw out any thoughts of practical upgrades in the future? When should we expect to see new sockets come out? i know there's always something new coming out, and if you always wait for the newest of everything you'll never have a full system without spending boatloads of cash, but 1156 has been around for a while now, and there is already a 'better' socket out there for intel. Nice build nonetheless.

Also at this point, quad core is not needed. if it fits the budget without compromising other things then thats fine.

Just a thought... how are amd systems looking nowadays? i know they usually are better with not changing sockets every other year

EDIT: on the video card... i kind of lost track of whats what with components right around the time the 460's came out... but if i recall correctly aren't they power hungry? if i'm using a 650w psu, would i be cutting it close using one of those? I don't need top of the line graphics, but something that i could add to in the future would be nice. as stated above i know predicting the future is a futile, especially when it comes to computers, but i'm trying to build a good starter system that i can upgrade later as needed. does this make any sense, or am i off my rocker?
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Closed Thread