New build for gaming/video streaming

Ucf.knights

Solid State Member
My primary goal with this next computer is to be capable of some gaming and also Blu-ray video streaming. I have a decent digital collection and I'd like to be able to stream it directly to my TV. My projected final setup is to have this new tower storing all of the movies and using a wireless HDMI to extend the monitor out to my TV which would allow me to pick the movie and play without the hassle of cables and moving the PC.

Based on the above background, is this something that can be done at a reasonable price (~$1000) building my own rig? If not, are there other alternatives to accomplish the streaming and gaming? I'm not opposed to building a rig for the gaming and accomplishing the streaming in another way. It doesn't have to be one piece of hardware to complete both goals.

For now, I'd like to get some feedback on what path is most cost effective. Once I decide on a path I'll add on to this thread with a build for review.

You can do this very easily for around 500 bucks if you have an OS + mouse/KB already.
If so, I'll list off the parts you can do this with. For a tad more money we can make that a mini-itx rig that will be pretty tiny.

Thanks for the response.

Based on the price you mention, you indicate that the streaming can be accomplished with a low budget rig. Based on what I've seen on this board, that price is usually for pure gaming rigs. Does the HD streaming not require extra resources beyond what a typical gaming rig would include? Not trying to call you out, just trying to get some understanding of what resources are needed.

I'm assuming streaming in either way. Be able to house HDDs for playback on other PCs or playback 1080p content with the PC in question. Both of which can be had by very low budget computers these days. Basically, you can build a little i3 based computer without a GPU and stream HD content. The 650 would only be for gaming if you need it.

For clarification, you are looking to STORE the files, and play it back all on the same computer, correct? Personally, I wouldn't consider this to be streaming video, it is just playing the video on a display connected to the same PC. Even lower end hardware will play HD content just fine.

As far as the HD video portion of your build goes, the only factor to take into account is the storage space. As for the hardware requirements, focus only on what you will need for gaming, and that will be more than enough for the HD video.

As for the way in which you will watch your media, if you are using wireless interfaces to your computer to watch it on your TV, I would recommend taking a look a program called PLEX. There is a SERVER app, and a CLIENT (Media center) app, both of which are free, and can run on the same machine.

I have been messing about with a PLEX server on my gaming rig, and streaming to my laptop, PS3, and phone, it works great!

Good luck with your build!!

Etheral_Dragon, yes I believe you are correct. The tv will essentially be a second monitor which I can use for playback or general pc use. Does it make a difference to the hardware that the tv is 120 Hz? My thought is a faster refresh rate would require more throughput.

Here's my build so far:

CPU - Intel Core i3- 3220 Ivy Bridge
Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220

Mobo - ASRock H77M
Newegg.com - ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Storage
HD : Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200RPM
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Case - Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Newegg.com - Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Optical Drive
Newegg.com - LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - Blu-Ray Burners

Monitor - Asus VE248H Black 24"
Newegg.com - Asus VE248H Black 24" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1

OS - Win 7 Home Premium
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

The sub-total is $1135.

How does it look? Any cost savings tips?

Back
Top Bottom