New Build for Enthusiast Gaming and Professional 3D Art Work/Engines - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: New Build for Enthusiast Gaming and Professional 3D Art Work/Engines

No real information is out on the engine besides the demo and full DX11 capabilities. I am going to say probably, but I can't promise that. As for working simply with the UDK I don't think you'll have any problems. Maxing UE4 games, like I said I can't promise anything but speculate you probably wont have a problem.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Northelim
Default Re: New Build for Enthusiast Gaming and Professional 3D Art Work/Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
No real information is out on the engine besides the demo and full DX11 capabilities. I am going to say probably, but I can't promise that. As for working simply with the UDK I don't think you'll have any problems. Maxing UE4 games, like I said I can't promise anything but speculate you probably wont have a problem.
Ok here is my biggest debate right now and I need several opinions on this from different people.

Dual 680s or a single 690? Pros and Cons of each? Not exactly sure on this one :/ Would it be smart to get a 690 now, and a year later another 690 for price drop? Technology moves so quick, it's hard to judge these things

Northelim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru

Dual 680s.
More power, 4GB VRAM per GPU, less heat, air directed out the back, if one GPU dies replace it while still having a graphics card.

Only real con here would be slightly more power consumption and if you consider it a con using another slot.

690:
Slightly cheaper than 2 cards, single card, e-peen, slightly less power consumption, 2 cables rather than 4, no SLI bridge required (built in).

Cons would be one fan for 2 GPUs, dumps air into the case as well as out of it, hotter due to 2 GPUs being fed the same amount of air, 2GB VRAM per GPU, if VRM or a GPU dies whole card gets RMAd.

A 690 will hardly be cheaper 2 years from now even when they are technically obsolete. Quad-SLI also has no real effect on games as the drivers really aren't that optimized for 4 GPU load balancing. With the way things are looking, next years 780 will be about 25% more powerful than the current 680 so I'm guessing for the amount of money a 690 will cost next year you could get 2 780s lol.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Dual 680s.
More power, 4GB VRAM per GPU, less heat, air directed out the back, if one GPU dies replace it while still having a graphics card.

Only real con here would be slightly more power consumption and if you consider it a con using another slot.

690:
Slightly cheaper than 2 cards, single card, e-peen, slightly less power consumption, 2 cables rather than 4, no SLI bridge required (built in).

Cons would be one fan for 2 GPUs, dumps air into the case as well as out of it, hotter due to 2 GPUs being fed the same amount of air, 2GB VRAM per GPU, if VRM or a GPU dies whole card gets RMAd.

A 690 will hardly be cheaper 2 years from now even when they are technically obsolete. Quad-SLI also has no real effect on games as the drivers really aren't that optimized for 4 GPU load balancing. With the way things are looking, next years 780 will be about 25% more powerful than the current 680 so I'm guessing for the amount of money a 690 will cost next year you could get 2 780s lol.
680 actually is now $470 So it's cheaper for 2 cards than 690.

Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-2690-KR GeForce GTX 690 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$999

Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$470 x 2 = 940

But how come it's 2 Gigs and not 4?? EDIT - NVM I Linked wrong one.. it's $520

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130799
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Build Guru

Lol yup. Like I said, just a tad more.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Lol yup. Like I said, just a tad more.
What Liquid Cooling System/Brand you recommend? Also, do I still need a heatsink for my CPU if I am buying Water Cooling? Are those 2 different things or just different way of handling the same thing? Sorry if I sound like a retard about this, I just have 0 experience with water cooling and I only built 1 computer in the past.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

For AIO Corsair.

For custom water:
Blocks - Watercool Heatkiller and EK
Rad - XSPC
Pump - Alphacool Laing
Res - FrozenQ PC or Laing res
Barbs - Bitspower
Tube - 3/8" Lowes clear tube

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

is water cooling really worth it? Or will a bigger fan do?
Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Techie

How is this this one?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt77 View Post
is water cooling really worth it? Or will a bigger fan do?
It's worth it depending on what you want to accomplish.

Access to my Plex PM me.