New build disaster. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hey all, finally got all my pc stuff through the post today. Built it all up fully (e6600, gigabyte ga 965p ds3, corsair 520w psu, 2gb gskill, bfg 8800gts 320, segate barracuda 250gb, arctic cooling freezer) and as i was going to plug in the monitor to try it all out, DISASTER! the monitor connector wont connect to anywhere in the back panel and the 8800gts only has 2 greyish coloured connectors. i'm still using an old crt monitor with a blue connector. sorry i dont know any names. i THINK it's called an hd 15 connector for the monitor but i'm not sure. and possibly dvi onthe gfx card, again, not sure...

is there any way around this without buying a new monitor? a converter perhaps?

Your CRT monitor, has a VGA connector(that blue connector). And the gray connector, you were referring to, is called the DVI connector. So you would need a VGA to DVI adapter. The video card, should of came with one or two, of those. Check in the graphic card's box.

oh dear. now i feel a little stupid. it came with two of them in a seperate little compartment.
Thanks for your help.
I'm going to go and bury my head for a while...

lol yer, it comes with adaptors lol, you should think about upgrading your monitor aswell, dvi is better isnt it??

theres two dvi to vga conectors and vice-versa adaptor so u can plug in ur newer LCD in ur older video card, and one for this situation

Yeah I previously had a nice Dell 17'' WS LCD with a DVI connection.....now I have a 19'' WS Belinea with a VGA connector and I can't tell a darn bit of difference.

i think vga is in anologue but dvi is in digital so therefore dvi can pass more information? or is that a load of crap

i was expecting something along of the lines, it got fried or it won't post.....

i think vga is in anologue but dvi is in digital so therefore dvi can pass more information? or is that a load of crap

No it's not about the amount of information that can be passed, it's about the quality.

In theory a LCD screen running on a VGA cable will have data going from the graphics card through the VGA cable in analogue...and then must be converted to a digital signal which can result in the loss of some quality...also the length of VGA cables matters as the signal to noise ratio will go down the further along you go down the cable...but on a DVI cable as long as a 0 or 1 ends up at the end then that's all that counts...

So if you have a long distance from the puter to the monitor then DVI is the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom