New Build of desktop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: New Build of desktop

That tower contains a mini-ITX motherboard, and so the micro-ATX motherboard that you have linked to will likely not fit.

Also, based on the power supply that the tower has (an external 65W? Very unusual) I doubt you'll have any way of powering the components you want to put into it, especially as it looks like the current motherboard does not have any of the standard connections for power. 65W is also likely to not be enough to power your desired components.

Basically, you'll need to buy a new power supply for those parts, as well as a new tower to put them all in.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Thx Yami. If I buy a new tower I should be all set then?
chara33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara33 View Post
Thx Yami. If I buy a new tower I should be all set then?
You'd also need to buy a new PSU (power supply), but once you buy a new tower and new PSU, you'll have all the essentials:
  • CPU + GPU
  • Mobo
  • RAM
  • Case
  • PSU
Presumably you can re-use any storage devices and optical drives that you may wish to use.

Do check with us before buying everything, just in case.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

At minimum get the CX500, not the 430.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Just a couple of questions. What are you going to be using this for, and do you already have the parts? If you don't already have the parts, I put together a part list for you here that is basically the same thing, only it's upgraded to a newer Skylake build, and it includes a mid tower case with a 480W power supply. The part list totals $321. I know it's better to have a nice Gold Certified PSU, but you have a small budget.

Intel Core i5-6400T, Logisys CS206BK - System Build - PCPartPicker

Just a couple of thoughts. You didn't have a video card in your list, so I assume you either already have one, or you're going to be using the integrated graphics. Those will do you fine for productivity things, but not good for gaming. You also didn't include a hard drive or operating system in your list, so I assume you have that. You could add a 1TB 7200RPM hard drive to my build for around $45 if you need one, but Windows will put you over $400 if you need it.
forrestcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Hi, Trying to come up with a build if someone could plz help me out as I am terrible at these things. I would like to have a desktop PC the will last me for at least 5 to 7 years. I am not a gamer and i am not a video editor. I am a basic user surfing the net, watch movies on PC on occasions, email...etc.

What i would like to have is an I5, hopefully with the latest generation, if not, close to it. 8 gb of RAM with the ability to add more if necessary, an asus mobo, an ssd of 250 GB if possible, otherwise I will use 500 gb hd that I have. All other things i am clueless on so that is where i need some help. My budget is no more than $450 unless i can get someone to buy my Samsung tabs for a decent price that I bought in Oct 2015 coz i dont use it.

If no one wants to help me with this plz let me know so i can try another forum that will. I am not mad or trying to be pushy i just need to know plz.

thx
Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well it's like I told you in the PM, you'er not going to be getting that kind of machine for that kind of price built. You're essentially asking to build a midrange PC for 350 bucks. You should have jumped on that shell shocker because that was the closest you'd get. 279 for a Haswell i3, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB drive and enough money to add an SSD and a cheap GPU to offload video playback. I mean, if you have a copy of Windows I could probably build something with an i3 but that's about as good as it'll get.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara33 View Post
Hi, Trying to come up with a build if someone could plz help me out as I am terrible at these things. I would like to have a desktop PC the will last me for at least 5 to 7 years. I am not a gamer and i am not a video editor. I am a basic user surfing the net, watch movies on PC on occasions, email...etc.

What i would like to have is an I5, hopefully with the latest generation, if not, close to it. 8 gb of RAM with the ability to add more if necessary, an asus mobo, an ssd of 250 GB if possible, otherwise I will use 500 gb hd that I have. All other things i am clueless on so that is where i need some help. My budget is no more than $450 unless i can get someone to buy my Samsung tabs for a decent price that I bought in Oct 2015 coz i dont use it.

If no one wants to help me with this plz let me know so i can try another forum that will. I am not mad or trying to be pushy i just need to know plz.

thx
Dude, what in the world?! Did you not look at the post directly before the one of yours that I'm quoting? If you don't want to listen to our viable help where we make part lists that are exactly what you ask for for less money than your budget, then plz let me know so I can stop wasting my time coming up with this stuff for you.
forrestcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well it's like I told you in the PM, you'er not going to be getting that kind of machine for that kind of price built. You're essentially asking to build a midrange PC for 350 bucks. You should have jumped on that shell shocker because that was the closest you'd get. 279 for a Haswell i3, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB drive and enough money to add an SSD and a cheap GPU to offload video playback. I mean, if you have a copy of Windows I could probably build something with an i3 but that's about as good as it'll get.
Ok PP, I actully said I dont need need an ssd or a HDD as i said i will use the 500 hdd that i already have. I do not use much HDD space. I will get an SSD in the future if I think i need it. I DO NOT need an OS as I have plenty as it is. I am basically am Looking for an I5 cpu, ASUS mobo and 8gb of RAM. If u guys can do that for me as u all know more than i do. AS i said my budget ATM is $450 unless I can sell my tablet, then it could be more.