New Build - Computer Turns off Randomly - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Running on empty.

Send a message via AIM to chesirecat1701 Send a message via MSN to chesirecat1701 Send a message via Yahoo to chesirecat1701
Default Re: New Build - Computer Turns off Randomly

Dwhitt has a valid point, if I was you before dealing with a RMA from EVGA (could take months) I would gently disconnected everything, take it out of the case, blow out any dust with some compressed air, and reconnect everything outside the case as if you were doing a lab/benchmark run. see if that helps.

if not that HDD is getting really suspicious

Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhitt009 View Post
I was having the exact same problem a week ago when I was building my new rig. I read that it might be shorting out with the case somewhere so I took all the components out of the case and put them on a block of wood connected everything and it worked fine; however, when I put them back in the case it would start doing the same thing. I tested different theories and found that my front panel reset switch(when plugged in to the mobo) was shorting out with the case and making it reset. So all I have to do is not plug in my reset connector. If I were you I would use my method and take it all out of the case unless your sure that is not the problem.
Thank you for your response.
I thought about it shorting because I was using a case from the 90s, I bought a new case for the computer with all new nuts and bolts for the mobo.
Before building the computer in the case, I did a benchmark test with similar results.
I am 99% sure this has something to do with the mobo and I need an RMA.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Techie

It would not surprise me i faced many similar issues with my 680i, one after the next, once i used a new board all this went away. What i would suggest is that all the settings are correct in bios, or if your 780i is giving off a error code when it shuts down.

When it shuts down does it just restart or is it actually turned off? If it is actually turned off, its probably the board thats needs replacing since you have troubleshooted everything else. And those evga nforce boards have got the worse power regulation, and poor components. Otherwise if its restarts it may be settings that cmos is not reseting correctly. This could be reason for different times of shutdown.

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron5 View Post
It would not surprise me i faced many similar issues with my 680i, one after the next, once i used a new board all this went away. What i would suggest is that all the settings are correct in bios, or if your 780i is giving off a error code when it shuts down.

When it shuts down does it just restart or is it actually turned off? If it is actually turned off, its probably the board thats needs replacing since you have troubleshooted everything else. And those evga nforce boards have got the worse power regulation, and poor components. Otherwise if its restarts it may be settings that cmos is not reseting correctly. This could be reason for different times of shutdown.
The computer justs turns off as if someone had pulled the plug out of the back.
The XFX tech guy asked if both fans were working on the MOBO, and they are.

However, the mobo has an idle temp of 45 to 47 degrees celsius. Under heavy load it goes up to 65 degrees celsius.

Case ventilation is good with 4 fans on the case.

Could this be the cause?
How can I cool the board more?

Closed Thread