New Build for college

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
Hello all, its been awhile since I have posted. School and all you know how it can be. Anyways I'm ready to retire my opty rig and enter the bright new world of Core2. Here is my build so far. I have about $900 to spend but I would like to keep it under $800 if at all possible. Case, monitor, keyboard, mouse and dvd drives will be reused.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
or
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

RAM:
(sort of obvious)
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card:
Newegg.com - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hard Drive:
(will be paired up with a WD 250gb SATA2 drive)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Mobo:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
or
Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

HSF:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

Notes:
I will be overclocking to a degree, but I wont be trying to beat veedub's 3dmark score (if thats even possible). My monitor is crippled at 1280x1024 (early gen analog lcd) So my graphics cards need to max out all modern games at that and I would like to play well at something high like 1440 or 1680 when I finally get a new monitor.

Well thats about it. Comment away!

Q6600 if your not upgrading in 2-3 years. E8400 if your changing it in less than 2 years.

i heard those were bad rams

The new versions of the ballistix have gone to the cheap side and are not dual sided anymore. Making them not the choice for overclocking.

Definitely go with the DS3L, if your not going to use SLI/Crossfire why pay tons more for the same performance of any other motherboard.

ok then what is recommended? I have been out of the loop for awhile.

the tracers which you have got are two sided so its fine i think it is the older yellow plain ballistix that are not double sided anymore.

Everything suggested looks good. I would say go with the DFI x38 board because the X38 chipset is great for overclocking and I have heard that the new EP35-DS3L's are bad for overclocking since they are now "energy star savers;" something to do with the settings being reset to default settings every time you boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom