New build, but forgot to set ACHI for SSD. What now?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I just finished building the following rig for my dad to surprise him tomorrow for Thanksgiving:

AMD Sempron 145
BIOSTAR A780L3B
Thermaltake VM54521N2U V2 ATX Mid Tower Case
THERMALTAKE 450 PSU
RAM 4 GB
80MM FANS [2]
120MM FANS [2]
DVD BURNER
OCZ 120GB SSD

Good news: built went real easy and cost less than $150 even though everything is brand new.

Bad News: I thought for sure I found the correct place in BIOS to set the SSD for ACHI. Instead, I just noticed it is set for IDE on the SSD.

I installed Windows 8 Professional 32-bit as the OS.

Can someone help me discover how to change the BIOS to ACHI for the SSD?

I think I did it before and had to change the registry. Not sure now how to do it...esp. with Windows 8 and a cheap BIOSTAR MB.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,

Soar

PS Windows 8 Professional is working real well!

32bit isn't taking advantage of the 4GB of RAM. Should have got 64bit.

Registry entry in 8 should be the same as 7.
How to enable AHCI mode for windows 7 and Vista without format. | Bourlas Blog

I hope your dad does nothing but browse the internet, because that's about all that machine is good for. Good gesture though.

PPM,

Thanks for the help. You guys rock!

The 32-bit copy of Windows Professional for me was absolutely free. I chose to use it on my dad's computer because he doesn't game at all [he is in his 80's]. I did read an article that surprised me. It stated that Windows 8 32-bit does indeed use the entire 4 GB of RAM, but no more that that! Also, Microsoft's website indicates 4GB RAM for Windows 8 32-bit.

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

My dad only uses his computer for browsing the internet, stock market trading, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and that is about it. That is why I chose really low priced [or free] components on his build.

My dad wanted a simple computer that gets the job done for mostly single applications.

Do you think this build will work for him?

I also have a new Intel G530 and Mobo, but I thought that was overkill for his specific needs.

Please give me some more input.

Thanks,

Soar

It is technically impossible for any 32bit software to use a full 4GB of RAM. And by technically, I mean physically impossible. Just so you know. It will utilize 3.25GB of RAM and address the rest.

This PC will work, but I think you probably should have sprung for a dual core. The reason being is there is always so much going on in the background. The computer can only do one thing at a time before it starts slowing down.

It is technically impossible for any 32bit software to use a full 4GB of RAM. And by technically, I mean physically impossible. Just so you know. It will utilize 3.25GB of RAM and address the rest.

This PC will work, but I think you probably should have sprung for a dual core. The reason being is there is always so much going on in the background. The computer can only do one thing at a time before it starts slowing down.

Ok, thanks again for the great info.

Darn, now I wish I had used the Intel G530 with the H61-M Motherboard combo I picked up at Fry's for about the same exact price!

Well, I will take the Intel G530 with the H61-M Motherboard combo with me and if he feels it is too slow, I will rebuild it with the G530 combo.

Gosh, now I wish I had asked here before putting this rig together!

Know what? I am already having concerns because I have seen the CPU max out at 100% numerous times already and a number of times just from using Crap Cleaner!

Ouch!

I am a little unhappy with this build.

The present OS does not permit me to unlock the second core on the Semphron 145.

I suppose I will have to wait and see what he thinks about it.

Soar

That's the problem with single core. Just not enough for all the bloat honestly.

Unlocking a core is purely on the motherboard and CPU itself whether it is successful.

That's the problem with single core. Just not enough for all the bloat honestly.

Unlocking a core is purely on the motherboard and CPU itself whether it is successful.

Yes, I should have inquired here first, before doing this build.

Well, the Mobo will not permit unlocking of the extra core.

So, I threw everything together, took it to my dad's for Thanksgiving, plugged it in, and gave him some simple lessons on the basics of Windows 8.

He is totally happy with it.

I was surprised that the system worked even after I installed a TV capture USB stick. We were able to pick up 119 channels and the processor was able to play TV with no problem at all.

I also thought I made a terrible mistake by installing an el cheapo Geforce 210. But that appears to get the job done too.

In the future, I will post here about my proposed build, then listen to the good advice.

Even though this system works well and my dad is happy with it, I now wish I had used the Intel G530 with the H61M-P31. I think that set up would have been much better and would have provided the extra head room that such a system should have.

Thanks again for all your help!

I will definitely ask here first before doing the next build.

Soar

Last edited:
Well I never said it wouldn't work but PCs tend to get a bit bloated after long usage with normal and less than normal users. Once that starts happening and the background tasks start piling up the CPU usage will always stat 50-100% causing the system to hang a lot.

Back
Top Bottom