New build.. big upgrade.. worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khann

In Runtime
Well I'm currently running one of those cheapo Toshiba laptops. 1.4Ghz Celeron M, 256mb nasty ram, 64m of which is shared with the X200M graphics! Wow, just amazing! :confused:

Anyway, I decided an upgrade is in order. I figured with what money I have, a $1300 AU budget is my absolute maximum for just the tower setup. So I've put together a few things, and I would appreciate some advice/critcisms :) One thing I know is really down is the CPU.. I was trying to look at some way I could afford an X2 processor.. but they're just too pricey. Then the whole Conroe idea came along.. but.. I want this PC now.. I NEED it. I'm not looking for a mind blowing system, just something that will run the latest games at high detail levels. So this is what I have put together:

MOTHERBOARD. PRICE - $185
MSI K9N Platinum Socket AM2 Motherboard

PROCESSOR. PRICE - $170 or so
AMD Athlon64 3500+ Socket AM2 (GD)

HARDDRIVE. PRICE - $115
Western Digital 200 gig 7200rpm SATAII JS (120gig is $96) (GD)

RAM. PRICE - $235
Corsair 2Gb PC5300 DDR2-667 Value Select Kit (VTI)

GRAPHICS. Price - $470
XFX 7900GT EXTREME 256meg DDR3 520MHz Dual DVI TV-Out SLI Ready Model: PV-T71G-UDERn (GD)

POWER SUPPLY. Price - $109 (GD)
Antec 450watt Smart Power ver2.0

TOTAL - $1283 - NO CASE, DVD PLAYER, KB/Mouse, screen etc.

VTI = vtechindustries.com.au
GD = gamedude.com.au

ALL PRICES IN AUD

Edit: Also forgot to add, that after I upgraded the CPU, I was thinking I would then grab a 75gb raptor? But that's in the future anyway.. haven't even got the system yet.

If that's the case... why not go with S939 mobo and processor... you can get them a little cheaper. Go with a GB (DDR) of ram for now... You can probably cut the mobo price in half, same with the RAM.
Then you can possibly order the other periph's you don't have... having a case to put all this in would be a novel idea, ya'think? :)

Yeah I already have a case organised.

The only reason I even went with the AM2 idea is because its pretty much the same price as 939.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom