New Build. Been out of it awhile. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default New Build. Been out of it awhile.

Hey everyone. Long time no chat. I am looking at purchasing a new machine next month after I move. Mine is old and is having trouble keeping up with 4k footage and doesn't like large photoshop files and what not.

Looking into this system:

i5-6600k
Asus Z7170I
Corsair Vengeance 2x16gb
GTX 1070
Corsair CX550 Modular

I have no desire to go big. I have even been thinking about going with a laptop just so I only have to use one computer.

Current rig is a i7 920, 18gb ddr3 and a gtx 680 with a corsair non modular 750w psu. I want to go small. I don't game a lot if ever but I do edit 4k footage on the regular and space is a factor. My full tower is too dang big.

Opinions and help? I have been out of the game for a LONG time.

overlord20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: New Build. Been out of it awhile.

If you don't really game you can drop that 1070 for a 1050ti and make up the difference in an i7 6700k and maybe more RAM or a good big SSD. Still get the CUDA **** for timeline scrubbing and the better CPU will benefit the render. If you want small it'll also allow for a 450 or 500W SFX so you can go mITX. Doing a 2.5 hour long 130Mb gaming video at 1440p almost capped my 32GB so I can almost imagine what doing a high bitrate 4k video might take (I can test if you like while I'm off).

Oh yea, 6700k and 1050ti combo will put out minimal heat. Just make sure you get a good cooler for either the 6600k or 6700k. Something small like an H60 will be good enough and they're pretty cheap these days. Hell even an H55 (got one cooling my bros 4570k OCd).

If you got something you can upload in 4k you want me to test give me a shout.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote