New Build Approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartgande

In Runtime
Yep, just as it says. You may also notice that there room for a video card, as I am hoping to have an R600 to fill that slot soon.

Case
Newegg.com - NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Disc Drive 1:
Newegg.com - ASUS Silver 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI Combo Drive - Retail

Disc Drive 2:
Newegg.com - SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner - Retail

Memory:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail

External HD for back up purposes:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Extreme Lighted WDXC1600JBRNN 160GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a External Hard Drive - Retail

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Hard Drive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Keyboard:
Newegg.com - Razer Tarantula Gaming Keyboard - Full Retail US Layout (Blue) - Retail

(Mouse will be a Death Adder)

Monitor:
Newegg.com - SCEPTRE X20WG-Naga Black 20.1" 5ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Sound card:
Newegg.com - Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1Gaming Soundcard - Full Retail Multi Language - Retail

Cooling system:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Big Water SE 120mm Liquid Cooling System - Retail

Is this overall pretty good? Anything to excessive, or better replacements for any of the parts above?

Holy **** where do I start...I don't want to say this but. It seems as if you just choose the best looking parts that cost a lot.

It worked on some things though, such as the PSU which is HIGHLY recommended and the Monitor is very good....however the other parts not so much.

First

The Case is great and everything but for that price Thermaltake Armor and Cooler Master Stackers are usually recommended as they are kwon for great cooling. Yet That looks like a nice case and NZXT make good cases so you can go with that.

The motherboard however...eh. The 975 chipset isn't thought of worth the money and actually for overclocking the 965 chipset is better. I recommend a P5B Deluxe or even a P5B-E. Yet the board is opk...and if you WANT to spent 100 more than you need to go ahead.

Next, do NOT get the E6700, get an E6600. The 6700 is not worth the extra money and pretty much all enthusiasts agree. The extra multiplier is not worth 200+ bucks. Actually the E6700 is a worse overclocker as well becuase the extra multi stops you from reaching a higher FSB, which is what you really want.

I see you have one WD Raptor however...Two Seagate 7200.10's in RAID 0 will just about equal performance but give you quadruple the amount of space for the same price. I Highly recommend doing that over a single Raptor.

The memory....Corsair may have been known before as amazing memory and everything but they have slipped. Their XMS2 line is just overall not good and defiantly not worth the price. I don't know why you are only getting one gig but for that much with the XMS2...you can get 2 gigs of G.Skill ram which is Much better. This model of ram I am recommending is one of the most highly revered ram modules for overclockers and enthusiast alike. Corsair XMS2 however, has not been recommended forever that I know of in the general community. This is the ram model that I HIGHLY suggest you pick up. It's not only BETTER but theres two gigs there, and for not much more.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The soundcard....is very good but it is a showcase becuase of it's looks. For the money this is better.
Newegg.com - Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

However...the Razer is a good soundcard, overpriced or not and it does look good. Those two will perform and sound around the same but that Razer is sick looking. You could grab either one.

The keyboard however...is overpriced heavily. I have never heard it once on enthusiast forums. Everyone on those forums has this keyboard as it's amazing..I thought this one was expensive >.<

Newegg.com - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Retail

The Death Adder is a good mouse anyway so I wouldn't have changed anything.

I'm not to sure about that water cooling system...i've always known the TT 120 air cooler to be just as good if not sometimes better than most water cooling. I'm not the one to ask about that though.

I may have bashed your build and it's not to say it wouldn't be good if you bought that right now but The Parts I have suggested come from the reviews and thoughts of the biggest hardware Enthusiasts such as myself.

Daamnnn... $90 for a keyboard? Anyways, since you have the money, I would keep the BX2. It's pretty much the most stable board you can get, even if it's overclocking is a tiny bit less then of a 965. Also, you can get the Corsair PSU for $125 after rebate from ZZF:

Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly

I would also get the 2GB HZ's instead (why 1gig when you're spending $90 on a keyboard!?) They're a bit better then Sora's suggestion and one of the best RAMs you can get:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The case will work. I like it more then the Armor and the Stacker (although you can't beat the 830/832 or any of them functionality-wise. The original looks like shite though I think.) Also consider the 3D Aurora.

With the money you save from the E6700, you should invest in better water-cooling. The Big Water is pretty skimpy and when you can save $200 without losing any performance after overclockage, you **** well better get a REAL WC system.

Anyways, you just have too much wasted money in there while skimping on other important parts in my opinion.

****, didn't even realize the ram mistake on my part, and furthermore, I've been out of the building and buying process for a while. As a matter of fact, my last build incorporated an X800 Pro; thusly, insinuating how dated my tiny bit of hardware knowledge is. Thanks though, for pointing me in a better direction, and I think I may have it right this time.

The NEW build:

Case (Unchanged):
Newegg.com - NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Disc Drive 1: (Unchanged)
Newegg.com - SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner - Retail

Disc Drive 2: (Unchanged)
Newegg.com - ASUS Silver 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI Combo Drive - Retail

RAM: (changed)

Motherboard: (changed)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Hard Drive: (Unchanged simply because this computer is solely for gaming, and I have another comp I use for downloads and various other purposes.)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Keyboard: (changed)
Newegg.com - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Retail

Monitor: (Unchanged)
Newegg.com - SCEPTRE X20WG-Naga Black 20.1" 5ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

CPU: (changed)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Soundcard: (changed)
Newegg.com - Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

Watercooling: (changed)
Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM - Reserator1 V2 Water Cooling System - Retail

Power Supply: (changed to zipzoomfly)
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly

So how's this new build suit your fancy? Any other suggestions or modifications greatly appreciated, especially on the water cooling, since I don't know anything about water cooling.

Looks good.. Although I would still get the BX2 especially if you're going to pay $210 for a 965 but that's just me. And now that I researched some, I would also get the 3D Aurora instead. People seem to like it better.

The build looks very good now and the Raptor is still very nice to have so no problem there. You could even RAID 0 two 74GB if you want but thats a little overkill hehe.

The Mobo I've actually never seen but the regular DS3 is recommended heavily so I'm sure that one is still very good. The ram you have choose is amazing heh, The HZ's are a step-up from the HK's but they perform close to about the same. Still I love the HZ's so good choice there.

The build looks very good now and you will be having tons of fun with that thing. I'm guessing you already have bought a video card or have one lines up very soon? Also are you overclocking? All those parts are top notch overclockers and you would see very nice speeds....3.5ghz+ on your E6600 even 3.8 or 4.0 if you do it right heh.

Thanks for you guys' help, and yes, I will definitely over-clock it. If the R600 series isn't released soon; then, it looks like the highest end 8800 for me. I am partial to Ati, however.

That system as I said, will offer you very high overclock. Higher than E6700 would have gotten you really.

The R600 is being kept back so that it will beat the 8900GTX and 8950GX2 or similar when they are released. ATI doesn't want to have another 7950GX2 or similar come out and finish the series out with Nvidia having the top card heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom