new build, £400 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

super_neil

Solid State Member
Hi guys I want to put together a custom rig, on a budget, for about £400. Because of where I live shipping surcharges are woeful, so me and a friend are both going to buy off Ebuyer and split the costs, so bear in mind I will be buying my compenents here. Although most sites are fairly similar.

I don't need a case, monitor or DVDRW as I already have them and decided to go with them. I want something that is going to be dx10 compatabile but last me maybe... 2 years? Is that possible? I realise it won't be playing maxed out or anything down the line, but assuming it is definately playable I am not fussed about that. So far I have this (speced a month ago) , and I don't think its that great lol:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2GHz) Socket AM2 L2 1MB 2x512KB
Asustek M2V AM2 VIAK8T890 Sound, Gigalan And USB 2.0 2000MHz FSB SATA ATX
Kingston 2GB KIT (2X1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 CL5 Non Ecc 1.8V
MSI 8600GTS 256MB Overclocked version DVI HDTV HDCP PCI-E
Maxtor STM3250820AS 250GB 7200RPM SATAII 8MB Cache
Casecom 500W PSU 12cm Fan 20+4 pin P4 PSU
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic x32Bit OEM

I am particularly hairy in the field of graphics cards. The site I used is Ebuyer - Cheap Computers, Laptops, Digital Cameras, TVs & more!.

Any help is really appreciated :)

get an x2 3600 brisbane instead of that 3800, if you can find one there.
it will overclcok much better and run much cooler.
i definitely suggest the 7900gs over the 8600. if you have to have dx10, get a 8800gts. i know that will ruin your budget probably.

a tip on selecting an HDD try and get a 16mb cache hdd cuz its just way faster and way better.... Seagate 320GB 7200 16MB SATA-300 OEM Hard Drive ST3320620AS at TigerDirect.com

That's an example of an HDD that i would use if you can order from Tiger i would go with that one

I agree with maroon1 about the 7900GS
If you can find the 7900 GS KO (what i have) you can pretty much play anything modern as of right now but no DX10 games ..... your best bet would probably get a good mobo and when DX10 games start to get bigger upgrade to a GPU like a eVGA 8800 GTX superclocked ..... by then there should be a price cut before DX10 games...... hopefully..... lol

7900GS is better than 8600GT, but it is not better than 8600GTS

Get 8600GTS

true. i cant even overclock my 7900gs' to the stock speed of the gts, and it only costs a few bucks more. i wonder how well the gts overclocks? core speed is 675. my 7900s will do maybe 625 but they really dont like to go that high.
question, tho.
why msi instead of evga? im just an evga fan.

It was the graphics card I am worried about. I really want dx10 because its a gift to me and im not in the position to upgrade this for a while so I want to be all set for stuff like Crysis when it comes out. How long (gaming wise) do you this this spec is likely to last? Unfortunately the 8800GTS is out of budget :(

It was the graphics card I am worried about. I really want dx10 because its a gift to me and im not in the position to upgrade this for a while so I want to be all set for stuff like Crysis when it comes out. How long (gaming wise) do you this this spec is likely to last? Unfortunately the 8800GTS is out of budget :(

If you can save up any more money at all, or hold off for a while it will be worth it. The 8600GT is not a very good card.

Otherwise you should go for the 7900GS, really there is not a huge difference between dx9 and 10 when you look at crysis for example. You can expect the 8600GT not to hold up very well in crysis when running in dx10 mode...

If you can save up any more money at all, or hold off for a while it will be worth it. The 8600GT is not a very good card.

Otherwise you should go for the 7900GS, really there is not a huge difference between dx9 and 10 when you look at crysis for example. You can expect the 8600GT not to hold up very well in crysis when running in dx10 mode...

correct, some predictions are that 8800gts might not even do well

Crysis works well with mid-ranged pc's the lowest requirements are the 6800 graphics card.

Although Crysis is godly in full-settings, it also works well on low settings.

Id say expect medium settings on 7900gs (possibly med-low) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom