new build for 18 y.o

Hmmm... what the heck r "assistive devices". From what i have read , you r much better off doing a clean install of Windows 10 , rather than upgrade from 7 to 10. For the $80 I will do it right and not chance a bad upgrade.

The upgrade entitles you to the license, which you can then do a fresh install if you desire.

Ya - i looked it up. I may be old and fought off Cancer 10 years ago and have some disability from my current malady - but not deaf or using a cane/wheelchair yet. So, just out of pride I wont misuse something designed to help people that need special financial help.

It's not worth the money as there isn't a perceivable difference between SATA and PCI-E. I have both an 850 Pro and a Predator X4 in my rig and as a boot drive there's no difference.

Just wait until next month when the 960 EVO comes out as the middle ground. It's as fast as the 950 Pro for half the cost.

OK PP - That sounds good- trying to quickly educate myself on the different SSD's. Got him off that one specific SSD , I strongly suggested a SATA III ( Samsung Evo 840 ) as you do not have to disable other stuff. I also told him that he will probably have to go to Win10 with the new MOBO's = He was Not happy. So he found this MOBO in an attempt to stay with WIN7:

MSI MSI Gaming Z170A GAMING M5 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Apparently still working well with WIn7. Obviously more money= Figures. I have not kept up with PC stuff since Win 10 came out - why do the new MOBO's have difficulties with Win7 and say you have to load extra stuff ,etc. that sounds complicated.

Last edited:
Any of the platforms that have been talked about support Windows 7, the problem being is Windows 7 doesn't natively support the SATA or USB3 controllers and usually require initial drivers to install. Some Skylake boards the USB2 is also not supported natively via Windows 7 as it's done through a 3rd party controller. For my ARK dedicated box I had to install Windows 7 on another machine and use a damn PS/2 ball mouse to install drivers to it which was a serious pain in the ***. Forward Intel and AMD platforms will be even harder, as I mean Windows 7 is 7 years old currently. This is why I said before it's better to just get used to 10. The benefits outweigh the hassle anyways. Windows 10 is better suited for things like SSDs for starters.

For the previous board and PCI-E M.2, you don't have to disable SATA yourself it does it automatically. This happens because certain lanes are being utilized and isn't really an issue. PCI-E SSDs come with impressive figures on paper but the problem being real world performance doesn't really show at all. I was an early adopter of PCI-E SSDs just to see this myself and be able to tell people either/or. M.2 form factor is the way ahead for SSDs but IMO currently it's not cost effective to go PCI-E M.2 quite yet.

At this point you're adding unnecessary cost when the dollars can be better spent on something like a better GPU later IMO.

I could not agree more- but what are you going to do, he doesn't want Win7. I my just say "hey listen- here is a new system with a great CPU, etc. do you want it or not.". If he wants to deal with all the hassle sand keep win7 - Then I cant stop him. I mean for me - my office software just works on win7 smoothly- I wont change until I have to. BUT, when I update or build a new gaming PC at home - I will go to WIn10.

Back
Top Bottom