new build for 18 y.o

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK- MY 18 y.o. kid has been ill and in and out of hospital - so between him and my own health issues I have not been on tech forums much lately. So - If anybody = PP could critic this I would appreciate it.

His old 2500K CPU is dying and his monitor is awful . So, I think I am going to surprise him with a new build to get his spirits up. He has a year old 290 GPU and a new Seasonic PSU, and has a 240GB SSD and a 1 TB HHD.

He games regularly both in the first person shooter stuff and other games.

So :

CPU: Intel 6600K = $250

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

MOBO: Asrock gaming = $115

ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming H170 Performance/Hyper LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM : GSkill Ripjaw 2133 (2 x 8GB ) = $65

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2133C15D-16GVR - Newegg.com

CPU Cooler : Corsair H90 = $90 ( his room is very hot)

CORSAIR Hydro Series H90 High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 140mm - Newegg.com

Case:

1) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M= $70

Phanteks PH-ES515P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Enthoo Pro M ATX Chassis - Newegg.com

or

2) Phanteks Eclipes series = $70

Phanteks Eclipse Series PH-EC416P_BK Satin Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case-Newegg.com

Total = About $600

I have a extra fan or 2 hanging around for a side fan as well.

NOW the issue: I don't know squat about monitors.

I think I am looking for a 25-27 inch monitor with 1440 res, 144hz, and a 1-2 MS response time- is that correct? I would like to stay under $400 for the monitor so a total of about 1K.

So:

the only one I found was : this Acer for $380

Acer XG270HU 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD HDMI DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync (Free Sync) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor Edge-to-Edge Frameless Design, 350 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers-Newegg.com

How is his CPU dying? Will it pass a Prime95 test?

Everything looks good, but you could save some cash on the board by going with an H110.

The H100i V2 is only a few bucks more.
Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm-Newegg.com

The Eclipse looks like it might be a better suite of a case for somebody younger. The H100i will mount directly to the top of the case too. The Pro M is a fantastic case but takes a little bit to make it right.

I am not sure- the entire PC was purchased about 4-5 years ago - used. We updated PSU and GPU , HDD and SSD. He crashes while playing Rainbow Siege, etc. Possible he is just overheating as well because his room is on second floor and is warm in summer= 80 degrees- or the MOBO is failing. So, I figure by the time be get a new mobo, cpu cooler, or better fans ( case fans and USB ports are also failing) , etc. - might as well do a full upgrade.

I will check on the other mobo's - he definitely will overclock -so don't want a cheapo MOBO.

Any thoughts on the monitor posted or a different one?

Last edited:
Then you need a Z170 board, but he doesn't need to overclock at all, especially if he's having heat problems. 80f ambient makes for a toasty CPU no matter what cooling you have. Considering the issues that were happening before I'd be willing to bet it's the 290 crashing.

No comment on the monitor as it fits the requirements.

LOL- yep , just realized that. Came back to edit my last post- your quick dude.

Yes- it is Possible the crashing is just due to overheat. But - what are you going to do the room is on second floor, and his closet leads to attic and the room is the furthest from the furnace -so hotter that anywhere in the house to begin with. He has a small fridge in the room which produces heat, he has the PC, which he leaves on at all times (Irritating) . The fridge is needed due to his condition. He is kinda bedridden and so needs food in his room.

OK - SO no overclock , then the H110 it is. I bet he destroyed the 290 and the 2500K overclocking them in his hot room.

Last edited:
LOL- yep , just realized that. Came back to edit my last post- your quick dude.

Yes- it is Possible the crashing is just due to overheat. But - what are you going to do the room is on second floor, and his closet leads to attic and the room is the furthest from the furnace -so hotter that anywhere in the house to begin with. He has a small fridge in the room which produces heat, he has the PC, which he leaves on at all times (Irritating) . The fridge is needed due to his condition. He is kinda bedridden and so needs food in his room.

OK - SO no overclock , then the H110 it is. I bet he destroyed the 290 and the 2500K overclocking them in his hot room.
Well I don't want to state the obvious, but maybe a window unit or portable unit? I'm having the same issue in my PC room with 100+ degree temps weekly and I'm combatting that by putting my server and PC in my closet and closing it up with a portable 12,000 BTU unit that vents into the attic.

Take into consideration that 290s are meant to run AT 83c or something in that range, so we said last time to max the fan out or leave it at 80% which you said fixed the issue. If the ambient inside the room is too hot more than likely the GPU is just crashing even with the fan up high like that. It's hard to damage a 2500k unless he's trying to run it at 4.5GHz.

If you do decide to follow through with the Skylake build I'd buy the 2500k and board.

ok- I will check it out and see whats up- he sleeps a lot -so hard to actually monitor as he is up for a few hours, then back down. I will install a temp monitor and force him to use it and see what is up.

As far as a small A/c window unit- we thought about that- but we have casement windows so A/C units are pretty expensive. It may have to happen - certainly cheaper to just by a new monitor and new GPU with a new A/C unit. Then having to replace full PC's due to heat damage repetitively. Cant do a portable as floor space wont allow it. He is 6.6 and uses a extra long bed, the fridge, desk, chest of drawers, etc. so no room.

Last edited:
Closet full, pretty small house for five people so closet space is full with shelves.

A made him load a temp monitor and it us definitely the 2500k. At idle it is 93 Celsius and when trying to play StarCraft 2 it goes to 103 very quickly. The 290 stayed ok. So maybe to cooler on the 2500k is bad. So tonight i will put on my stock 2500k cooler as i used an aftermarket when i did my build. Who knows that may bevthe only issue.

Closet full, pretty small house for five people so closet space is full with shelves.

A made him load a temp monitor and it us definitely the 2500k. At idle it is 93 Celsius and when trying to play StarCraft 2 it goes to 103 very quickly. The 290 stayed ok. So maybe to cooler on the 2500k is bad. So tonight i will put on my stock 2500k cooler as i used an aftermarket when i did my build. Who knows that may bevthe only issue.
Is it even clean? Fan ramping up?

Back
Top Bottom