new build for 18 y.o

Ohh ya.. that right. New I forgot something. No build for 2 years now.

EDIT : Ok just tried to download the media file creation kit for win10 on my win7 machine - it wont "see" the USB flashdrive. As expected win10 is different enough that I will have growing pains. Do I even need this?

SO I guess I do the win10 install via the DVD install disc. Then once it is installed - then I do the media kit on the new PC - because the USB drives will be found correctly?

Last edited:
Ohh ya.. that right. New I forgot something. No build for 2 years now.

EDIT : Ok just tried to download the media file creation kit for win10 on my win7 machine - it wont "see" the USB flashdrive. As expected win10 is different enough that I will have growing pains. Do I even need this?

SO I guess I do the win10 install via the DVD install disc. Then once it is installed - then I do the media kit on the new PC - because the USB drives will be found correctly?

No.

You either install from the DVD or from the flash drive.

The Media Creation Tool is for the installer media.

If It's not finding your flash drive, then you can choose to create the ISO using the Media Creation Tool (rather than directly to the flash drive), and then you can use something like Rufus with the ISO to create a bootable flash drive.

So what is the installer Media about ? do I need it? Sorry - I am being a ignorant Noob - Obviously .

The Media Creation Tool is to create install media (ISO, bootable flash drive, etc.) if you need to replace your install disc or didn't have one in the first place.

If you bought a copy of Win10 that's not just a license key, then it comes with install media (a DVD).

OK- after a few chemo-therapies, a hospital stay for my kid I finally got to put this together. All went great - except I get video out of my HDMI from the 1070 - but it Nvidia wont let me download drivers- keeps says no hardware is detected that is compatible. I don't know what to do. Obviously win10 "sees' the GPU- as it is using the HDMI out- but the Media center stereo is only getting video and all audio is only on the USB headphones - no audio in the HDMI signal. Any suggestions.

Figured it out - In spite of putting in the proper key for win10 - it did not work- so I had to end up calling MIcrosoft- what a PAIN. After they did their thing - all is A-OK

Last edited:
OK functional/activated WIn10 allowed me to download Nvidia drivers last night for the 1070. Now my 5.1 sound system if better ( volume, balance and fade) than it was on the onl PC that was win7 with a 290 GPU for some reason. So now on to other "stuff" - I re-downloaded steam onto my SSD which is where I put the win10. So now how to I access my games that are in the other HHD's? Or do I have to re-download them all? Even if I have to re-download each game - no big deal as I actively only play one or two. But will they have all the saves,etc where I left off or will I have to start over? The whole "save to the steam cloud" should have saved all my games - correct? Same question on the other gaming websites that host games as C drive is no longer C drive - rather it is now D drive. SO my SSD is C drive , then the old C drive is now D drive and the old D drive is now F drive. SO I guess I need to figure out how to configure Steam/Uplay/etc.

Activation shouldn't hamper driver installment at all. I install all drivers before activating on any machine I build.

HDMI audio was software like I had mentioned. Something somewhere wasn't setup right. More than likely AMD drivers just being **** like usual.

You have to tell Steam where the library is. Same with the other programs. Cloud saves will only be there if it's setup to be there. Not all games use cloud saves. Actually, if Steam was still installed on the old drive you didn't even need to reinstall it. All you needed to do was browse to the Valve folder and launch Steam from there.

Well- for some reason that is what happened - it was wierd that picture was going out of the HDMI off the GPU, but it would not let me download drivers and no sound was being sent to the HDMI output. THat is why I started looking around and found that the win10- was not activated. After dealing with that- and after win 10 became activated - the download of the new Nvidia drivers went smoothly.

OK - will look fro the Valve folder in the old C drive will try that- does that same thing apply to Origin, Galaxy, etc. or are they all different. Also can I still use Microsoft word = get old documents off of the old harddrive.

Any files that aren't associated with an installed program (like music, documents, pictures, ect) can all be accessed the same. Steam is easy, but the rest aren't as easy as Steam. I've always had to reinstall some of my Origin games and Uplay games.

Back
Top Bottom