New AMD Quad-Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scionix

Baseband Member
So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma on upgrade choices.

I'm either going to get Vista (Cheap SP1 Home) to recognize all of my 4g of ram (instead of 3.25Gb) and get a new case, or upgrade my processor.

Unfortunately, I bought a motherboard with an AMD processor slot (well, AMD was king then, can't really blame me), and now Intel is kicking butt, but I'm interested in the new Quad Cores AMD has come out with. My question, though, is it worth the money to upgrade? I have a decent processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000, OC'd to 3.15Ghz), and I'm scared a quad core would be overkill for gaming.

This is the processor I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103273

And if it matters, I'm running two 8800gt's in SLI.

Just to let you know, to recognize the whole 4 gigs you will need a 64 bit OS. Vista SP1 has not fixed this for 32 bit - it now just shows as 4 gigs but still can only use ~3.25 because of the limitation of 32 bit.

Having said that, you would see a little increase with a quad in newer games like Crysis, Grid etc. but really it would be minimal.

Personally i would get a new case and OS.

if i were you for cheaper cases like under 80. i usually stick with the good brands. ive never see anyone use that case before so i couldn't say. the inside looks quite small, look up some reviews.

i would get this
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
the three hundred has proved to be one of the best budget cases. nsk4000 is great too, seems more expensive in usa tho then here.

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma on upgrade choices.

I'm either going to get Vista (Cheap SP1 Home) to recognize all of my 4g of ram (instead of 3.25Gb) and get a new case, or upgrade my processor.

Unfortunately, I bought a motherboard with an AMD processor slot (well, AMD was king then, can't really blame me), and now Intel is kicking butt, but I'm interested in the new Quad Cores AMD has come out with. My question, though, is it worth the money to upgrade? I have a decent processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000, OC'd to 3.15Ghz), and I'm scared a quad core would be overkill for gaming.

This is the processor I'm looking at:

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

And if it matters, I'm running two 8800gt's in SLI.

Get this instead and a nice heatsink. Its 95 watts as opposed to 140 watts and should be able to hit 2.7ghz or maybe even 3.00ghz if you know what your doing. Its also like 100$ cheaper then the 9950 and at the price your paying for the 9950 you can get a Q6600 which will run miles around it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103244

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to go with the case + vista, and if I can really push that 2.3 Ghz quad core to 2.7Ghz I will definitely look at it later.

And I really like the case's looks, I really want it >.>

Get this instead and a nice heatsink. Its 95 watts as opposed to 140 watts and should be able to hit 2.7ghz or maybe even 3.00ghz if you know what your doing. Its also like 100$ cheaper then the 9950 and at the price your paying for the 9950 you can get a Q6600 which will run miles around it.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
no, the 9x50 (B3) processors overclock significantly better, and don't have the TLB bug.
Plus, overclocking makes it use more power anyway.

I'd say get a 9850 BE
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

no, the 9x50 (B3) processors overclock significantly better, and don't have the TLB bug.
Plus, overclocking makes it use more power anyway.

I'd say get a 9850 BE
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

There also seems to be a higher transport speed compared to the cheaper Phenoms. Guess the smartest thing would be to wait until maybe some of the chips can go down in watt usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom