New Alienware - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which game should i get?
Call of Duty 2 5 11.36%
Half life 2 15 34.09%
Oblivion 2 4.55%
Doom 3 1 2.27%
Unreal Tournament 5 11.36%
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 2.27%
Battlefield 2 12 27.27%
Quake 4 2 4.55%
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to calebac09 Send a message via Yahoo to calebac09
Question New Alienware

Since the piece-o-crap company so called Dell bought the overpriced but very cool company called Alienware , If I was to buy a PC from Alienware now, would I have to format it to get all the crap off of it that Dell normally puts on a new computer?

Old 04-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't think that Alienware is changing their product. I think that Dell just owns alienware (in the business/legal sense, at least.) An Alienware is still an Alienware, but I would never buy from either company.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

build your own computer, no point in paying for labor, its fun to put it together yourself anyways.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Plus its way cheaper to do it yourself. You can build the same specs on alienware for probably half the price...or even less than that.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 04-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

1 Nearly all PCs bought from companies are bloated price-wise because of bundled software and other garbage

2 Pay premium price for hardware if you buy from a company because they need to make a profit.

3 Alienware is very difficult to reformate due to a special system they use or so I here I have no other details but it is something to be wary of.

4 The name Alienware goes right with their reputation of being overpriced as well. Not only are you buying an overpriced computer you are also paying for a bloated name as well.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 04-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Dell just owns the majority of the voting stock. Now Alienware is a subsidary of Dell Corp. Dell has said, "They aren't going to tamper with Alienware on a "day to day business" sense. Alienware will be running just how they were with no change.

I certainly wouldn't buy an Alienware now or before. As mentioned above, they are really over priced. I wouldn't say by half or more then half, but a good 20% to 30% over what you could build yourself with OEM components.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is, the components they use are OEM also. And they probably get them cheaper then you and I do. Well, they have to make money somehow.

Retail packaging is really expensive and totally worthless to the end user. So you get a neat box with some packing bags and some crap software you aren't going to use anyway... They just end up in the garbage or the closet.

Give me bubble wrapping and a warranty. I'm happy.

Build your own. It's easy and costs you less.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Not to mention your still giving money to Dell in sense so no way am i buying one.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The only reason I'd buy a Alienware would be for the matching case, monitor, keyboard and mouse. But since I don't have a spare seven grand, I'm building my own.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yeah, when you build your own PC, you can get the parts on sale, like what I do. Many places have really good sales, like my 3800 x2 and Mobo for 280 dollars. But, I wouldnt reformat a newly bought computer
Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

I would. I heard somebody say they got a 15% increase in performance from formatting their prebuilt as soon as they bought it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread